Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Definitely fly into SLC. It was an easy, short drive to Park City from there.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    I grew up skiing out west traveling from the east coast. Breckinridge and Copper are particularly high and so I don't recommend them.
    I haven't been to many ski resorts so it's hard for me to compare, but I was really affected by the altitude in Breckenridge. Pounding headache, exhausted, puffy face. It was really weird and not pleasant!
    DD
    DS

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I live in CO, so I'm used to the altitude and rarely have problems. Aside from that issue, my favorite mountain to ski with kids with a big resort is Copper. We love the town of Breckenridge the best in summit county - lots of restaurants. Vail and Beaver Creek are also great, but more expensive. As a local, we normally ski more locals type mountains like Loveland, Eldora, etc. and only do the big mountains (Copper, Winter Park, etc.) when we have a deal.
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We took 2 kids to Steamboat and loved it! I highly recommend flying in directly.

We've skied most resorts in CO-the best family friendly are Steamboat, Copper, Telluride, and Breckinridge IMO
    DD1 01/10
    DD2 04/12

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We take our kids skiing in Keystone every year. We don't have altitude issues as long as we stay hydrated and fed. They love it there
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Have you thought about California?

I think it could be more affordable all around especially with flights because you are not flying into touristy areas (although SLC is way more reasonably priced than Jackson Hole IME). You would fly into either Reno or Sacramento.

Growing up we did a lot of skiing at Kirkwood, Sierra at Tahoe, and Northstar. Squaw Valley and Heavenly are fun but they are more challenging.

Some years there is snow for spring skiing, but as long as it is cold at night they are making snow too in the winter. The area gets a fair amount of snow even without the snow making machines.

Traditionally Presidents Day weekend is a crazy weekend to go skiing there, but overall I think it is a great place to ski ESP. for beginners.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-17-2013 at 11:56 AM.

I would highly recommend Winter Park. My friend swears by Sol Vista a smaller resort out there that is more 'local' and very family oriented.

Fly to Denver, stay the night, then go to the mountains. We are told it helps with the adjustment.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER. It is key to combat illness out there.

Love Breckenridge, Vail and Cooper too, but staying in the Village at Winter Park was nice. Next time we will go to Sol Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    Have you looked into flights to Salt Lake City? We live in Maryland, but they are abundant and reasonable here. From there, its a pretty short drive to Park City. I believe that Park City historically has the most reliable snow.

Ooops, just saw your last post. We like spring skiing best.
    I did, and Denver is a lot cheaper. I may have to play around with the dates. I'd prefer Salt Lake City then drive to Park City since I've never been there either. I like the idea that everything is right there too.

Do they have any of those specials where kids fly free with a paying adult? I remember reading about that a while back with some ski packages.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

When we went, years ago, to Steamboat it was kids fly/ski free. It was an excellent deal!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast