Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hawaii experts

lfp2n is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Hawaii experts

We might be able to fly to Hawaii for a week at the beginning of August. We dont know which island to target. We will be with my 10 yr old DD. To describe us Id say we are quite outdoorsy, not so interested in resorts /golf places/restaurants and shops and really busy nightlife kind of stuff. I was thinking Kauai or Big Island but would Mauai be better or both? Someone told me the side you stay at makes a big difference as far as weather. We like beaches snorkelling, hiking, my DH needs to keep moving DD wants to see a volcano. Anyone got any island and beach areas to target.
    Lucy DD3/03

I prefer Kauai for beaches and hiking. I have stayed twice at the Hyatt in Poipu. It is a beautiful hotel.

There are a ton of good hikes. The Kalalau Trail is great. There are at least two waterfall hikes.

Poipu Beach is great for snorkeling. Lumahai Beach is where Souht Pacific was filmed - can go there and Kalalau on the same day.

We also took a cruise around the island to see the NaPali Coast - amazing.

If you want volcanos, you need to go to the Big Island. Also a ton of good hikes. I don't remember any beaches though. There is a NASA observatory on the Big Island that is really cool - there are now restrictions on visiting, but 10 years ago we drove right to the top in our rental car - look online ahead of time to figure out how to visit. We were there in the summer and there was snow at the top!

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'd say Kauai too. There's not much there other than to do outdoors stuff. Personally, I think Maui and the Big Island (other than the volcano) are boring.

That said, if the price/convenience of it might make a difference, don't totally write off Oahu. Flights tend to be the cheapest, more options on accommodations, etc. I've been on some amazing hikes there. Admittedly, the Arizona is kinda boring but hey, it's an important memorial. Plus, the Polynesian Cultural Center is a "must do once" for families IMO. Waikiki beach is a little nasty and overcrowded, but the other beaches are ok.

lcarlson90 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am definitely not a Hawaii expert but we just returned from Maui last week and my kids loved it. We spent most of our time boogie boarding at the beach, snorkeling and playing at the pool. I know that there are definitely spots to hike in Maui but we didn't do that because my kids aren't into that kind of thing. I would suggest visiting the Hawaii forum on Tripadvisor. I always get a lot of helpful info. from the forum there.
    Gavin 7.30.08
    Dylan 2.24.05

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We haven't been to Kauai yet, but forget about Maui. Very touristy. We LOVED the big island, though - there is great snorkeling, lava tubes (bring a flashlight), wet side with waterfall hikes, up island is cooler (Waimea? Not sure on spelling) with farmers markets and cowboys (paniolos) and good local food. Nice beaches on the sunny side. And good coffee. Love the peaberry. Touristy, esp around the Kona area, but not like the other islands.

That being said, we do plan on getting to Kauai when we can.

lfp2n is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

So confused. Thanks for the replies but I can't see my original post- where did it go??
    Lucy DD3/03

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Weird. I don't see the original post either. I remember saying you and your daughter are outdoorsy types. Don't care for shopping/restaurants or the typical touristy stuff.

Well, if that's the case, that's why people are mentioning Kauai. Have you watched Lost? Filmed on Kauai. The idea of isolated tropical paradise, with tons of beautiful beaches, foresty hikes, waterfalls, etc. That's basically what Kauai is. Cept there's really nothing else beyond that.

That said, the other islands have some of that stuff too. It's just not going to be as plentiful or as isolated "get away from it all" feel that you'll have on Kauai. The reason I don't suggest Maui is that while it's prolly the 2nd most developed island after Oahu, I don't think there's much there in terms of shopping, restaurants or touristy stuff. Since there's none of that stuff really, you might as well go to Kauai. And what little of the tropical paradise stuff there is, it isn't as nice as on Kauai. The big thing in the Road to Hana. Not that great IMO. Or if you drive up that volcano, you might as well go to the Big Island for real volcanos. Maui is a jack of all trades, master of none kind of island IMO. People either stay in West Maui or South Maui. The super fancy resorts are in South Maui, but they're not on the beach. West Maui has the properties on the beach (I like to stay at the Whaler condos instead of the hotels) and the beach is much nicer IMO, but that's about it. I mean, it's just a white sand beach. I've been to the black sand one further down the island and it's not that great.

Honestly, it's Hawaii. Pretty much any of the islands are gonna be pretty awesome with stuff to do. I'm from SoCal with plenty of beaches so I'm a little harder to impress (SoCal weather is a hell of a lot better than Hawaii, particularly San Diego, IMO). But, if forced to choose, from what you described, I think Kauai is the best for you.

And everyone is gonna tell you to pick up a copy of the blue ______ Revealed guidebooks. The Maui one is called Maui Revealed. I think the Kauai one is called "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook." Coulda sworn we had the Hawaii and Oahu ones too, but that's all I see on our bookshelf right now. The others might be loaned out.

waver is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I didn't read your original post. I guess we have traveled frequently to Hawaii, maybe 8 times in the last 8 years. We were last in Maui this past winter. We don't know as much as the folks who live there, but we know for young family tourists! Really, the PP have highlighted really well. My kids a few years younger than yours.

1. Yes, to what codex said. All the islands are wonderful, magical places, and will be FUN. We try to rotate where we go. We have enjoyed every island and had a blast. We are pretty outdoorsy. My personal favorite is Kauai. I don't like to shop. Where you go perhaps can be related to what you like to do.

2. For hiking, I think Kauai is spectacular. There are so many hikes of different lengths/locations. Of course all the islands have great hikes. There are websites describing the hikes in detail. We have camped/backpacked on Maui and Kauai.

3. Snorkeling. I think Maui has the easiest/scenic spots for kids or beginner snorkelers. Consistently the best snorkeling spot is Black Rock, even though it can get crowded. There are many snorkelers there, but I don't know why the fish and sea turtles (we see at least two up close every time!) don't get scared off! On Kauai, there are fewer places we thought that are good for kids. We liked Lawai beach, but it has quite a few waves, which our kids are comfortable with (I get freaked out a little though, for their sakes). On Lanai, there are some deep, clear spots, where I don't remember, just that it was cold, which my kids do not like, even though there are a lot of fish.

4. Beach: everywhere, though some parts of Big Island and Kauai did not have as many accessible sandy beaches (more pebbly where we went). Enough for us and the kids though. In Maui, we recently stayed at the Grand Wailea. That is right on the beach. Beautiful sandy beach, lots of playing in the waves. My DH and I used to swim the length of this beach back and forth, before kids. (It's not very long!)

5. Whales! This is in Maui, in winter. This last trip was our first time whale watching as a family, and we had an incredible time. We saw dozens of humpbacks up close. We saw a few breaching. SEveral baby whales. It was breathtaking! Plus our kids just loved being on a boat! In winter, there are so many whale sightings while we are just lounging at the beach, or walking around during sunset.

6. Volcanos. I really enjoy Haleakala on Maui. It's like the moon. We have even camped inside the crater for a night, but it is a really long drive. We haven't enjoyed the road to Hana. I think my kids are too young to slowly explore all the nooks and waterfalls/getting in and out of the car.

Hawaii is easy, safe, clean, breathtakingly beautiful, and people are really nice and helpful. So relaxing, I love it! Now that our kids our older, we are thinking about Cook Islands for our next trip. I have been told it is like Hawaii before all the major development. If you are seeking a more out-of-the-way experience.

I'm not an expert, but DH has a conference on a different island year, so he's been the past three years. The first year was on Kauai, and we went as a family and had a blast. DH also like the big island (for Volcanoes and hiking) and liked Maui but it wasn't his favorite. This year the conference is back in Kauai (princeville this time, it was at the Hyatt in Poipu last time, which was amazing!), and we might go back.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I can't see the OP either.

We've visited Kauai, the Big Island, Maui and Oahu. My favorites were Kauai and the Big Island. Ee sometimes tack a day or two at Oahu onto a trip if we fly in there initially. I don't see us every returning to Maui. It is very commercial and we really didn't enjoy it. Perhaps if it had been our first trip, but we spent the whole time wishing we were on Kauai.

The volcano on the Big Island was a lot of fun. It's quite the hike though, walking over lava rock is tough. We stayed here, it was amazing: http://volcanoretreat.com/cottages.shtml

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast