Default Don't you just hate when you read an article saying your baby will have defects

Look at this awesome article linking taking decongestants in the first trimester to birth defects.

http://news.yahoo.com/decongestants-...182824091.html

I had a nasty cold (that turned into a sinus infection) when I was 6-7 weeks pregnant and another one a month later, and then another cold and cough when I was 19-20 weeks pregnant. I know I took sudafed at some point, but I cannot when. Both the OB and the pharmacist assured me it was okay. And now I read this article...lovely.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

I've got two with birth defects and to my knowledge didn't take/do anything to put them at risk. *shrug* it's a crapshoot.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This is why I recommend against googling! I'd rather hear anecdotes from the BBB!

When I was pregnant with Henry we weren't on the internet like today. I worked myself into a frenzy more than once when I was pregnant with Agnes, and I am the furthest thing from a worrier! It's dangerous having too much info sometimes!

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

It's like that old SNL skit: something in your house may be killing you! More at 11. I hated taking anything while pregnant. I worried about Zofran but took it out of desperation. Even Tylenol made me worry. I'm so glad I didn't have to worry about any long term meds for diabetes, epilepsy, or anything else. I don't think I would've slept, and I'm not normally anxious.

I hope you have a healthy baby in arms soon!

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ugh, so sorry you're worrying about this now.

You are going to meet this little one in a few weeks, and I am sending lots of P&PT that you will be holding a very healthy lovely baby in your arms at that time.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hi! Mama of a child with a heart defect here! I also took decongestant during my 2nd tri but I don't believe the two things are related, and here's why - the heart forms long before I ever took that Robitussin.

What was lovely, however, was my mother telling me about a study done in Scandinavia correlating an overweight/obese BMI (which I have) with a higher incidence of heart defects.

Wishing you the best luck regardless - I am sure your baby is FINE. And beating yourself up after the fact isn't fair to you at all.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ugh. Nowadays, it seems that ANYTHING you do could potentially cause a problem. I'm trying to ignore any "new" or "breaking" news about harmful whatever and instead listening to proven research.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Some precaution is good, but if we all headed the advice of myriad studies, we'd also no longer talk on our cell phones for fear we're giving our unborn children ADD/ADHD.

Slipping away to take some Sudafed and Mucinex right now...fortunately in the 2nd trimester??? Cough. Cough, cough, cough. Seriously...my cough sucks.
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan