Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default UPDATE: Menstrual like cramps

UPDATE: got worse instead of better so i'm headed to the doc in a little bit. hoping for no news basically.

I've been having these for about 24 hours now. At first, they were sorta regular but I got my feet up and such and now it's just when I stand up and walk around. Is this something that warrants a call to the doc? I don't want to make a big deal out of Braxton hicks, but I've not experienced these period like cramps in any of my previous pregnancies. WDYT?
    Last edited by megs4413; 07-26-2013 at 12:34 PM.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

I would call your dr. Better to be safe. How far along are you? Not to scare you at all, but I had menstrual like cramps and didn't want to make a big deal out of "constipation" and it turns out I was in labor at 29 weeks. I'm sure that's not the case for you, but it can't hurt to call the dr. And from what I understand, most Braxton hicks are generally painless. More of a pressure like feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spannaz View Post
    I would call your dr. Better to be safe. How far along are you? Not to scare you at all, but I had menstrual like cramps and didn't want to make a big deal out of "constipation" and it turns out I was in labor at 29 weeks. I'm sure that's not the case for you, but it can't hurt to call the dr. And from what I understand, most Braxton hicks are generally painless. More of a pressure like feeling.

I think one of the reasons I'm dragging my heels on this is because I had PTL twice and it wasn't anything like this. 33wks with DD and 31 with DS. Since I'm only like 26 wks now maybe that is the difference?
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

I would call the doctor, especially with your history of preterm labor.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Drink a ton of water and put your feet up. Call the doctor of course, but in the summer, I bet you're a little dehydrated and over-doing things.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyBee View Post
    Drink a ton of water and put your feet up. Call the doctor of course, but in the summer, I bet you're a little dehydrated and over-doing things.
    Yes, I'd think this is pretty likely (I had a bit of cramping like that last week when it was in the high 90's and extremely humid and I was forced to be out and about shuttling kids to the places they needed to be) but that's why the doctor has after-hours lines. Call them and either let them reassure you or send you in for a bit of monitoring to be safe.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Call the doctor. Better to be safe, and they usually prefer to know these things sooner than later. In the meantime, rest and drink lots of fluids.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Another vote for call the doctor. My contractions were like that for most of my entire labor with DS1 and DD. I wasn't sure I was in full, active labor at all with DD and I was 10 cm dilated when I showed up to the birth center, feeling badly about making the MW come in at 10 pm. DD was born an hour or so later (water hadn't broken and they were letting me just progress on my own, so fortunately she didn't come flying out even though I was at 10 cm for a while). And she was my second child, so it wasn't as if I didn't know what labor is like. I'd say 2/3 or more of my labor with DS1 was also mostly menstrual type cramping and just general tightening that wasn't particularly painful.

With your history, definitely call. As PPs said hopefully you just need some water, etc. but I'd call first since you have a history of PTL. Hang in there.
    Last edited by brittone2; 07-22-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Nemesia is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyBee View Post
    My OB has advised this in the past when I've had menstrual like cramps. She said if they didn't go away with lots of water and rest to call. They always went away, and I took it as a sign that I was overdoing it.

Megs4413- update? How are you doing/ feeling?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast