lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default what age for dropping from two nap to one?

DD just turned one. in the last week she has refused a second nap three times. she takes a morning nap - up by 10:30am and then doesn't sleep again until she crashes for bed at 5:30/6

it's killing me

she's clearly exhausted rubbing her face all day. she yawns and when we read books before her second nap, she appears ready to sleep then as soon as she's put down, she's up scooting around the crib, tossing things out, singing, clapping, talking.

i leave her for at least an hour and she stays there - awake the whole time then gets up and is miserable for the rest of the day

DS took two solid naps 'til he was 18 months

isn't 12 months crazy early?

thanks
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD went to one nap at 11 months. Her morning nap kept getting pushed back and at daycare they transition to one nap at 1pm at 1 yr old so i went with it. If your DD is happy for that hour, I would probably leave her there for 2 and see what happens. What time is the afternoon nap?

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DD just dropped her second nap at 13 months. My DS was the same age when he dropped the second nap. Sucks, I know. The transition time is the worst. My DD has gone down for the night at 6 PM on more than one occasion recently. She is so crabby all afternoon, and I know that she would be so much happier with a nap, but she's not having it. My DD won't even tolerate being in the crib. She stands there screaming until I come and get her. So, for now, it's a ridiculously early bed time and the hope that she makes it through the transition phase quickly.

Maybe start trying to inch the morning nap later if you can. My DD gets up around 7-7:30 and naps around 12. Most days she sleeps for an hour and 15 minutes, but sometimes up to two hours. Those days aren't as bad.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

she goes in for her first nap usually between 8:45/9am

she will sleep for about 1hr, 15min

so she's up by 10:30 at the very latest

second nap had been 1:30. some days i've even moved it up b/c she's so obviously exhausted

she's fully skipped three times, but in the last two weeks for the days she is falling asleep, it's taking forever for her to do so

ugh
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Given that she is taking a morning nap, if you don't want to eliminate that nap, I would try putting her down at 2 or 2:30 for the afternoon nap. Make sure she is up by 4 and she should be fine to go down for bed by 7. Other option would be to push back her morning nap until you get to a noon nap time for 1 nap.

My daughter moved to one nap around that time, maybe a month or two earlier. She never was a great napper. Once it was clear that was the direction she was moving, I just started putting her in for her morning nap much later, between 11 and 12. There was a nice period where that one nap was really long.

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD was between 13-14 months, so this was fairly recently. She takes a morning nap and dropped her later one... MOST days. Some days she still wants one.

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My older son dropped it around then, but he wasn't a great napper. I think he napped 30mins each time. Eventually I moved it to 11 then 1. When I moved him to a bed at 2yrs, he started taking 3-hr naps! It was heaven.

Hemlock is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

My DS2 went to one nap at 13 months. He wakes up at around 8:00 and goes for his nap around noon. He usually sleep 1.5 hours and bedtime is 8:00 pm. He has always been a horrible sleeper and I would like his bedtime to be earlier, but he just isn't tired.