Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: push presents

Default push presents

is this something you traditionally do or are planning to do? We haven't done it before, but DH brought it up yesterday and said that he wanted me to be thinking of one. I am coming up blank. I'm not a big jewelry person, though a mother's necklace sounds OK. What have you done or will you do? What do you think of this tradition?
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

DH offered it to me but all I wanted was sushi lol
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Never heard about it till this board a few years ago. Didn't expect anything. I would have liked flowers or something but no need for a fancy gift.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DH got me small, inexpensive Jewelry gifts both times. It was a nice gesture.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not me, but friends of mine have. I joked with DH that I wanted an extra day of a housekeeper for a push present (still kind of do). He ignored me . If I was to get anything, I like the necklaces that have charms with the kids names on it. The charms look like circles with the names engraved. Probably not good at describing it.

I certainly have heard of the tradition, and I think it's lovely! I very much like the idea of a spouse giving the mother of his or her children a gift to commemorate the day their child was born. We didn't do this. I'm also not a big jewelry person, and any jewelry I would want, I wouldn't have wanted DH to buy then. I would rather have that money to splurge on stuff for the baby. My taste is very expensive!

I don't like the term "push present", though, because it implies the woman is being rewarded for birthing rather than that the gift is to commemorate the birth. I think this kind of gift should be a lasting one, like jewelry one would pass down, and not just an extravagant one like a Birkin bag or (on a lower budget) a tablet or something. If I had wanted to spend the money, I would have asked for a gold watch. I saw one at Tiffany's I love, and my mom has a beautiful Cartier one. I just didn't feel the need.

I jokingly talked about it when pregnant with DD2, since we knew she would be our last. DH took me seriously though so we ended up deciding to get me a ring with the girls' birthstones that I could stack with my engagement and wedding rings.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I joked with my DH that after my 3rd csection I deserved a push present. He bought me an iPad to use in the hospital
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

We haven't specifically talked about it but I got a watch with a pink face for DD with her name/bd engraved. I wish there was room to add surprise DD2 on there. I would like something to commemorate her as well with her name engraved but do not care what.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've never had one. I'd like it, but don't want to pay for it, lol. Not really in the budget!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast