Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: push presents

Lol I can't even get my DH to give me a back rub, I would never expect a gift because I would be setting myself up for disappointment.
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

DH balked when I brought it up the first time, so to remove any disappointment from him turning me down a second time, I'm not asking. It seems to be more common among my girlfriends who have spendier tastes (and husbands with fabulous incomes).

Jewelry (the kind I like) is such an extravagant purchase these days, that it really seems silly to wear something around my neck that costs more than a used car. I would love an initial pendant w/ DD and DS's first letters of their names, but it'll be something we'll have to work into the budget, and it'll likely come out of what I would be getting for Christmas. I'm a clothing junkie, so I'd love a giftcard to a fabulous store to restock my postpartum wardrobe. Ahhh, a girl can dream, right?
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan

i thought the gluttony of stuff i got at my baby shower was my present.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsmama View Post
    DH balked when I brought it up the first time, so to remove any disappointment from him turning me down a second time, I'm not asking. It seems to be more common among my girlfriends who have spendier tastes (and husbands with fabulous incomes).

Jewelry (the kind I like) is such an extravagant purchase these days, that it really seems silly to wear something around my neck that costs more than a used car. I would love an initial pendant w/ DD and DS's first letters of their names, but it'll be something we'll have to work into the budget, and it'll likely come out of what I would be getting for Christmas. I'm a clothing junkie, so I'd love a giftcard to a fabulous store to restock my postpartum wardrobe. Ahhh, a girl can dream, right?
    I think this is why he feels safe to suggest it...I really don't have spendy taste. I mean, i am a bargain shopper through and through when it comes to stuff for me. the only jewelry I own is my wedding set and besides my iphone/tablet/laptop is the only thing I own that cost over $200. He on the other hand...

I thought i had settled on an expensive diaper bag (which i was originally planning to get used!) but he said i can have it, but it doesn't count as my gift because it's for the baby. so...back to the drawing board! I am thrilled he's trying to do something for me this time. he was an absolute jerk the first time I was pregnant (i mean, horrible, you can't imagine) and was so busy working in my pregnancy with DS that he didn't even come to an appointment until i went in to deliver. my doctor had noted that i was a single mom in my chart because he'd never met or seem him. it was very embarrassing explaining who he was at the induction. :-/ DH's exact words to me, "I'm trying to do it right this time." I think it's sweet of him.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I didn't officially get them either time I was pregnant, however with DD1 we had never heard the term until around 2008 or 2009 so DH just joked that I got my Honda Pilot (my first new car) as my present. With DD2 we did send DD1 to daycare full time the entire time I was on maternity leave so that was valued at $2700 so that was a pretty pricey present, but with DD2 being a pretty horrible sleeper during the day it was absolutely worth the cost to not have DD1 trying to wreek havoc with me as well all day long.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

This sounds very odd, but my mil gave me what would probably be considered a, "push present" after I had DS3, she got me a necklace and pendant. It was nice of her, but I kind of felt weird about it. Let's just say that had DS3 been a girl, I don't think my mil would have given me that necklace (yes, she is one of those old asian immigrant's that I referred to in the other thread and LOVES to be seen with my 3 boys and getting attn that her son has 3 sons). DH never got me a push present, but I did get an extra nice present (tiffany bracelet) for Valentine's day (a few days after DS1 was born).
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

With DD, Dh surprised me with a loose stone that I could have made into anything I wanted. The catch was that whatever it was would be eventually be given to DD when I thought she was ready. He did ask that when it is given to her he didn't want it to be for a special occasion (wedding, graduation, etc).just to give it to when I felt The time is right. It took about four years to save up to do with it what I wanted to do. And now I have a gorgeous Art Deco style right hand ring that will eventually be DD. DD calls it my family ring. Now that I'm finally the expecting DD2, DH did mention the other day that he will have to do something similar for her too.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Never heard about it till this board a few years ago. Didn't expect anything. I would have liked flowers or something but no need for a fancy gift.
    Ditto. Never heard of it and the name itself turns me off - seems more like a reward for producing an heir/offspring than a celebration of the mama! If I were in your shoes I would probably ask for an ipad! Great for all those hours spent nursing or rocking on the glider...
    Last edited by citymama; 07-28-2013 at 02:19 AM.

for Sandy Hook

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've heard about it but never received one. DH brought me flowers after each delivery.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Think some may be regional/cultural. It wasn't called that, but my dad bought my mom jewelry when my brother and I were born in the early 60s (!). DH bought me a stone which is now set in a mother's necklace when DD9 was born.

Fwiw, we are Jewish, and it appears to be the norm among our Jewish friends, and increasingly common among non Jewish.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse typing errors I've made, and auto correct 'fixes' I missed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast