Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Need carrier help - replacing/upgrading Baby Bjorn for DC#3

There seems to be a much larger variety of carriers on the market since DD was born 8 years ago. I had some back problems with the Baby Bjorn, and understand that its not the best for the baby either.

DS2 is 2 weeks old and about 11 lbs - he will likely continue to be a big/tall baby, just like his older siblings - probably 25+ lbs by 8-9 months. DH and I are both tall. I am looking for a carrier that will do a better job of supporting a larger baby and also one that I can nurse DS2 in discretely. I looked at a Beco Gemini and Boba 3G today. I liked the lack of bulky padding with the Boba. I liked the relative ease of buckling the shoulder straps on the Beco. DH liked the front-facing option on the Beco, but is perfectly happy with the Bjorn. I wasn't really happy with how either of them held DS2, but the sales girl wasn't particularly knowledgeable about how to configure either for a newborn.

Are there any others I should look at? Also do these ever go on sale anywhere?
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ncat View Post
    There seems to be a much larger variety of carriers on the market since DD was born 8 years ago. I had some back problems with the Baby Bjorn, and understand that its not the best for the baby either.

DS2 is 2 weeks old and about 11 lbs - he will likely continue to be a big/tall baby, just like his older siblings - probably 25+ lbs by 8-9 months. DH and I are both tall. I am looking for a carrier that will do a better job of supporting a larger baby and also one that I can nurse DS2 in discretely. I looked at a Beco Gemini and Boba 3G today. I liked the lack of bulky padding with the Boba. I liked the relative ease of buckling the shoulder straps on the Beco. DH liked the front-facing option on the Beco, but is perfectly happy with the Bjorn. I wasn't really happy with how either of them held DS2, but the sales girl wasn't particularly knowledgeable about how to configure either for a newborn.

Are there any others I should look at? Also do these ever go on sale anywhere?
    I'm just a beginner at babywearing but I would also check out the Ergo, although it doesn't face forward like the Gemini. I have the Beco Butterfly and I like it a lot but I still find it cumbersome to adjust and wish in retrospect I had gotten the Gemini because I think FF would be nice sometimes. I used the Beco TONS when DS was little and still use it at least a couple times a week now. For sales, last year there were some great sales around black Friday IIRC. Also sometimes you can get them used if you check craigslist or if there is a babywearing facebook page for your town.

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've had an Ergo Original, Ergo Performance, Beco Butterfly II, Beco Gemini, and Beco Soleil. My babies are small little peanuts though. The Ergo has a shorter back so if your DC are tall you will find the Ergo to be uncomfortable sooner. With DS1 I used the Beco Butterfly II most often. It has a nice infant insert that is just a strip of fabric, the back is taller, and it was comfortable for both DH and I. I loved the Gemini for DS2's first 6 months(didn't have it with DS1), but never did forward facing in it. I loved that it doesn't require an extra insert for a newborn and it was very comfy, but about 6 months I felt DS2 was getting too big for it. I got the Beco Soleil when it came out a few months ago and I really love it. It does require an infant insert that is sold separately though. I didn't get one because DS2 was already too big for it, but I think it is similar to the Butterfly II insert.

I highly recommend www.frogmama.com. She has a bunch of great deals on Beco's right now. Butterfly IIs, Geminis, and Soleils. She carries Boba too. She has a great return policy so you can try things out and she is so helpful at finding the perfect carrier for your situation.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You may also want to consider a Pikkolo. I'm not a carrier expert, but that's what I've used for DD since she was about 4 months (I used a Moby wrap before that), and I've been very happy with it. You're supposed to be able to use the Pikkolo from early on (8 lbs, maybe?) -- I think if I have a second, I'll still start out with the Moby, but I've loved the Pikkolo since we started using it. DD is now 17 months and ~23 lbs, and I still carry her in it. I used an inward front carry until around 13 months, then switched her to my back. When front carrying, I didn't find it comfortable to use the cross-strap configuration, but found it very comfortable to just use the "backwards backpack" configuration -- there's a buckle you can do up so it's secure and the straps don't fall off. It has the capability to do forward facing, and seems like it worked fine -- but DD didn't really ever fight facing inwards, so I never used it except to test it out, because facing inward is so much more ergonomic.
    Lizi

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just got a Pikkolo and like it so far. One brand that a lot of Moms around here really love is Olives & Applesauce. It's nice because it has an internal harness that is adjustable for smaller babies and makes it easier to do a back carry. Unfortunately, the straps were too long for my narrow shoulders.

If there is a local baby wearing business or group, I'd really recommend trying as many carriers as possible. I was amazed how some carriers that others raved about just didn't fit me at all.
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

Thank you for all the responses!
    Unfortunately, I missed the local baby wearers meetings for July and will miss the August as well. Frogmama's site looks very helpful, and I may go with a used carrier from her. I need to do more reading and make a decision!
    ncat

I wasn't able to get my Ergo to work with dd until she was six months old. I has an old style insert and that didn't work.

I loved my pikkolo! And I loved my freehand Mei tei. Both were comfortable for me and easy to put on. I found that I prefer the back straps to cross and both of those can be worn that way. The Mei tei is the least bulky and it was what I took when I needed something to go in a diaper bag.

Catherine

I looked at the same carriers at a different store - very helpful sales clerk - and went with the Boba. I did really like the Gemini back straps crossing, but DS2 liked the Boba better and I preferred that it was less bulky. So far, I like it a lot but probably also would have liked the Gemini.

Now, I need to work on setting it up to nurse DS2 while out and about - any tips would be much appreciated.
    ncat

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My fave was a Kinderpack, though I never tried to nurse in it.

Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have a Beco Gemini and an Ergo. Love both but for different reasons. The Ergo is very comfortable (ours was a friends so its used and softer). Our daughter would sleep well in that one when she was younger. You can buy an infant insert for it also. I love the Ergo for shopping because she likes to forward face. Keep in mind that forward facing is not the ideal position for baby so we try to keep that to a minimum. It is nice to have the option though! Have you considered a wrap? They are very versatile and great for nursing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast