Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nemesia is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default NSTs twice a week???

I'm 37+1 today. I have gestational diabetes and am 39 years old. My OB previously thought I would have to be induced because she thought my blood pressure might be an issue and/or the baby would be too big with the GD. My BP has stayed low and today's ultrasound estimated baby's weight to be 7 lbs. My OB said at this point she doesn't see a reason that we would need to induce (she is aware that I really want to try for a birth with minimal interventions), but she would like me to have NSTs twice a week from here on out, instead of just once a week.

Has anyone else had to do this? It seems a bit excessive to me, but if it keeps me from being induced I will cooperate. FWIW, I've been having weekly NSTs for the past 6 weeks and they've all looked great.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Haven't BTDT, but apparently I will eventually. At my last appointment, the OB told me that I would have having them twice weekly starting at, I think she said, 32 weeks! I guess I had better clear my schedule when I get closer.
    Last edited by TwoBees; 07-29-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Hit post too soon!
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Placenta can break down faster w GD, right? If so, keeping tabs on that makes sense. I'm all for a non invasive test that keeps baby cooking.

Eta- I had twice/ week in my 41st week since post date.

I had twice weekly NST's with my DS for advanced maternal age. I was 39 years old, and my pregnancy was otherwise uncomplicated. My OB recommended twice weekly NST's for all of her AMA patients as a routine. The NST's all looked great until about 38 weeks, the amniotic fluid level started to decrease. I rested and increased my fluid intake, and the levels went up. I had an uncomplicated delivery at 39weeks 4days.

ETA-The twice weekly NST's began once I was 36 weeks.
    Last edited by momtoonegirl; 07-29-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Add timeframe

mom to one girl, 9.5 years old
    and one boy, 5 years old

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had NSTs every 3 days from 33 weeks on with my last pregnancy due to my BP issues and my son's restricted growth issues. I ended up being delivered at 36 weeks.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I had them 2x a week with DS due to intrauterine growth restriction. I think that started at around 36 weeks and I was induced at 38 weeks. My only problem is that my insurance doesn't cover them so that was kind of a pain. Hope it all works out for you!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

speo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I also had them 2x/week starting at 34 weeks for DS1. This was because he was growth restricted. They became nervous about my fluid levels along the way and eventually they went low enough for induction at 39 weeks. I was sent right over to the hospital (across the street) following the last nst. Things can change in a few days!
    DS1 2005 and DS2 2007

Nemesia is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thanks, everyone! I guess it's not as uncommon as I thought.

I'm 39 and just a few days ahead of you (37+4). I don't have any complications or risk factors other than being AMA, and I was told I wouldn't need a NST until I had hit 40 weeks.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Yep. I have Type 2 diabetes and had them 2x/week from I think 36 weeks on with DS. With DD I was diabetic AND AMA and same deal.
    Debbie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast