ma912 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default Toddler Bedroom Transition Decisions

My DD is 2 and we're expecting another in January. I'd like to get her into a bed before the new baby comes. I have so many decisions to make and questions to have answered!

- Originally I had hoped to move her into a new room and leave the nursery for the baby, but now I'm wondering if that's too much change. Thoughts?
    - I also just read in the Toddler 411 book to skip bed rails... thoughts on this?
    - She moves around a lot in her sleep... will she naturally settle down or is that something she needs to learn?

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We moved DD1 into a new room and bed at 26mos when expecting DD2. She handled it just fine. We bought a twin mattress/box spring and started with just the mattress on the floor. She could climb in/out easy and we didn't have to worry about her rolling off. After a week or two we put it up on the box spring with a pool noodle as a bumper. A few weeks after that we put the whole thing on the bed frame and kept using the pool noodle. For $1 it's the best bed rail there is. We started the transition about 4mos before baby's arrival thinking we'd need the time for transition. And honestly she took to it the first day with no concerns. She never indicated she was upset about losing the crib or the other bedroom.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i never used bed rails on kids beds (just on my bed, when cosleeping with a crawler!).

i also put all of my dc straight onto a twin bed with just the mattress and no box springs at first. they could get in/out easily and didn't have any problems with falling.

With DD1, I ended up deciding to buy a second crib for DD2. I just didn't want to upset a lot of things in her life when so much was up in the air with a new baby. WHen DD2 was about 5 months old, DD1 said she as done with the crib andready for a big girl bed, so I put her in a twin sized bed. Her bed sits pretty low to the ground and she doens't have a box spring, so it isn't a far fall. I never used bed rails, she was fine.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

ma912 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Thank you!