Default Carrier for shorter Mom?

I'm expecting my first and starting to look around at carriers. I want a soft structured carrier that can be used with an infant and will be comfortable and not too bulky for a Mom who is 5'3" and 110 pre-pregnancy and will also work for 5'9" ~180 Dad. I realize wraps and slings are more adjustable, but I am not interested in those options. Ergo is recommended a lot, but I've read a number of reports that it is not the best for shorter people. Easy to use is a big plus! I'm looking at perhaps a Beco Gemini, although some of the other Beco models and the Boba have also caught my attention -- what would you recommend? And any suggestions for finding a used one to cut down cost?

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I loved my Beco Gemini. It was perfect for the newborn stage and doesn't require an infant insert. We used it from birth with DS2. Both my 6'2" DH and myself(5 5") found it comfortable. I think it would be great for a shorter person. I also have the Beco Soleil and love it. It has an infant insert you have to buy though and DS2 was past that stage when it came out so I'm not sure how comfortable it is. It looks similar to the Beco Butterfly II which we had with DS1 and loved. The Soleil is a taller, bigger carrier so I don't know if you'd find it as comfortable. The Gemini is awesome though.

I also have an Ergo Performance. It is a good carrier as well, I like it better than the original Ergo I had. But you need an infant insert with that as well. I just waited until my boys were about 3 months before using it with them and didn't use an insert.

Www.nobetterdeal.com has lots of carriers. I've seen Beco, Boba, and Ergo there. They Amazon returns. Most are brand new with tags even though they are listed as open box. Frogmama is also a great resource/website. She has a clearance section and a great return policy just in case. And finding a local babywearing group to try some of these in perso is.a good idea too. I just found one finally when DS2 was 7 months and realized despite my initial reluctance I probably would have really loved a ring sling when my boys were littler.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Catbirdbaby Pikkolo or Kinderpack. I haven't tried a Beco, so my lack of recommendation doesn't mean anything. I am one of the few who despises the Ergo. Also maybe do research on Olives and Applesauce carriers. They have a newborn insert thing built into the carrier. I don't know if a mei tai is up your alley, but some of the wrap companies make MTs out of wrap fabric and they are very cozy. I am a total butterfingers when it comes to wrapping, but after a few YouTube videos, I was fine.
    Last edited by swissair81; 08-13-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am 5'4" and DH is 5'9". I have a Cybex2Go. It is less expensive than an Ergo and does not require an infant insert. I have a bad back but was still using the Cybex on my back when DD was 20 months and weighed 25lbs. After that, I was pregnant with a difficult pregnancy so I have not used the carrier with her since. I will be honest that I have just kept the Cybex for me and very rarely does DH use it. It is just easier that way.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think trying to find something that's all things to all wearers is kind of an exercise in futility.

The Ergo will work better for the dad in your scenario - I'm about 5'8" myself and it was my go-to carrier after my DD outgrew being comfortably wrapped. I also have a toddler sized KinderPack, which I love.

For a petite mama, I have to 2nd the Pikkolo (with support belt!) but really love a wrap best for the newborn stage.

Also, is there a babywearing group near you? If you're not sure, thebabywearer.org has resources - it's free to join, but I think you need to be approved?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am very similar size to you (5'2" and about 110 lbs) and I had a Beco Gemini for my 2nd. I really liked it. Originally got a pikkolo but after wearing it a few times around the house found I really needed the support belt and liked that that was built in on the Gemini (vs add on w/ the pikkolo), so I exchanged the pikkolo for the gemini. I also found for me, the gemini just seemed to fit me and the baby a little better.

Is there anywhere you can try some on? I found that helped a lot as it easily narrowed down my choices.

Thanks for the suggestions -- happy to hear more if anyone else has ideas! I suspect that I will use the carrier much more than DH will, so it working well for me is definitely more important. I will be home with the baby for all but about a month of its first 6 months between my maternity leave and summer off from teaching.

I'll check out the baby wearer website -- I really don't know if there are any local baby wearing groups! There are 1 or 2 small local baby stores that may carry the nicer brands to try on, I'll have to look into that too.

I am 5'7" but on the small side and I loved my pikkolo and my freehand Mei tei. The Mei tei is more adjustable than a buckle carrier so it might work well for both parents. Dh is much bigger than I am and we ended up with a performance ergo to accommodate him and I was able to use it as well although I do prefer carriers where the straps cross in the back. I could not get the ergo to work until dd was about seven months old though.

Catherine

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    ...I could not get the ergo to work until dd was about seven months old though.

That's actually a good point - DD wasn't able to be positioned properly in the Ergo 'til she was about 4 months old.

Before that, I used a woven wrap carrier because I had a LOT of trouble figuring out the Ergo insert. (Which I do NOT recommend, BTW. It's bulky and a bit awkward if your baby is long & your torso is short.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle