Default Help us all get on the plane - (stroller/carseat) questions

I posted a few weeks ago but my post was pretty rambly and didn't get any replies, so I'm posting again. DS (not quite 2.5), DD (8 month) and I are flying in about 10 days to the midwest, 3.5 hour nonstop flight. DH will be also leaving that day for a business trip, so he can help us get through security, but his flight is 2 hours before ours so I'll be on my own come boarding time. It's a little crazy, but DH will be gone for a week and so I figured it might be a good time for DD to meet my grandmothers, neither of whom are up to traveling much. I have lots of help on the other end of the trip, but a few logistical questions about actually *getting* on the plane: (we're on Southwest if it makes a difference)

1) Any tips on getting the 3 of us on the plane? I'll wear DD and DS can walk while I use the stroller to schlep, but I'm not sure how it's all going to work when I have to take everything off the stroller and leave it at the door....Is there any chance I can get help from the flight/gate attendants?

2) I booked 3 seats, would you bring DS's carseat on the plane or would you gate check it? They are both our travel seats, Tributes. If you didn't bring his seat, would you get harness for him, etc.?

3) Can I/would you gatecheck a b-Ready? It's our only double, and I like having the double for the airport in case there are any delays, etc.. I could swing bringing our single travel stroller, and wear DD but then I don't have any place to carry carseat(s). I'll have 2 kids, the carseat(s), a backpack/diaper bag, and a small packpack for DS that he likes to wear. I guess I suppose I could also buy a travel double, not super excited about that though.

Thanks for your advice!
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would wear the 8 month old as much as possible and put everything else in the b- Ready and gate check it. They are usually pretty good about offering to help fold up the stroller for you. You can also tell them at the gate that you need assistance and need to board early. I have also had passengers sometimes offer to help! I would probably bring a carseat on the plane for the 2.5 year old because its safest and will hopefully help him stay in his seat. Again, I would ask the flight attendant for assistance with installing it while you hang on to your two kids For us the hardest part is getting through security so the fact that you have your hubby to help with that will make it a lot smoother IMO.
    You might want to call the airlines just to double check that they will gate check the double. Some have weight limits although I have never seen them weigh one at the gate. Good luck!

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Have you flown with your 2.5 year old? How did he do? I am flying solo with two kids in feb and DD1 will be 2.5. She has flown lots and while it is def safer to have her in a car seat, I am going to check in her car seat with the luggage. It is one less thing to travel with and will make everything less stressful. I plan to bring something for her to watch and hopefully she will be entertained enough for the three hour flight. I flew with her alone when she was a baby, I found that other people were really helpful and so were the flight attendants. That said, I don't think they will install a car seat for you, but they will help you transport your stuff to your seat. Good luck!!

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have also found helpful strangers at the airport. This man, who was traveling for business, totally helped me get my stuff through security once when DS was flipping out on me. I've also had people offer to help me with the car seat on the plane. I definitely would take the seat on the plane if you can swing it for the 2.5 year old. He is strapped in and secure, that is one less thing to worry about for 3.5 hours.

I'd get my stuff to the row (people who look like they might be parents or grandparents are usually pretty helpful, if you appear to be struggling, let them help!). put the armrests up. Install the seat yourself. recline it a little just to install it easier. I never have had to ask for an extension (make sure to twist the lever-side 1/2 turn, so that it faces down, otherwise it's impossible to remove your carseat).
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When I flew with two kiddo's, I had both in car seats on the plane. I'd have your DH help you get to your gate, and then camp out in an area where the kids can run a bit while still keeping your stuff close by. As soon as the gate person arrives at the desk I'd ask them the best time for you to board, explain that you are traveling alone with a baby and toddler and plan to use both car seats onboard. Hopefully they'll see you're being proactive and will be helpful. I always found flight attendants and strangers very helpful when I had to install seats etc. I was ok letting a flight attendant hold a baby while I installed a seat. I would put the toddlers seat at the window and the baby next to him rather than the aisle where people will bump into her. With the baby installed RF it will give you easier access to the older one too...reaching across the legs....if you know what I mean. Then if you need to take the toddler to the potty (if he's potty trained) you can leave the baby in the carseat with the flight attendant while you take him....the flight attendants should have no problem with that.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I fly frequently with my little ones by myself, and I think every parent who flies solo with kids should get a medal and a cape!

I absolutely hate flying Southwest with kids, I avoid it when I can. The whole non assigned seats thing sucks when traveling by yourself with kids. They do allow you to board immediately after group A but before group B. However, make sure you're hanging out right near the gate because unless the gate attendant sees people with kids, they skip over the family boarding section, and then all the completely empty rows fill up and you're left at the mercy of kind people who will have to give up their seat for you. I also find that because of this slightly crazy boarding process, the flight attendants are sometimes busier than other flights, and just aren't as available to help :/
    I personally wouldn't and don't bring the carseat on the flight for your older little one. I found getting 2 carseats through security and through the airport was way too much hassle. My little guy started sitting on flights without a seat around 2years 7 months and did great.
    To get my stuff into the plane I strap my little one on my back in a baby carrier, carry the carseat infront of my body and have my older LO follow me down the aisle. Southwest requires the car seat be installed at the window seat, so I sit DS in the aisle seat, and I install the carseat at the window seat while my smaller child is in the carrier on my back.
    I'm in the minority, but I have found the lighter I travel, the easier it is. So I don't bring a stroller of any kind. I put the carseat (cosco scenera) on wheels, put my older one in the carseat, the baby in the carrier on my front, and a backpack on my back.
    Hands down, the hardest part of flying with kids is checking in and security, and what a blessing you have help there!
    just as a psa, don't bring straw cups with valves. The pressure change during flights causes the contents to spray out, I unfortunately found this out with milk in a sippy cup, and a guy in a suit next to us. Total bummer for all involved.
    Good luck! I hope you find a kind and helpful person to make the trip as easy as possible
    Last edited by okinawama; 08-18-2013 at 04:16 PM.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i'm also a fan of traveling light when solo with littles. i would check both car seats (or better yet, find one to borrow at your destination! or can your parents pick up a couple of sceneras?). then wear baby, push 2 y/o in umbrealla stroller and pack into a small bag and/or a small back pack.

another combo i like is a small wheeled suitcase for my carry on. then bungee the car seat onto the suitcase. wear younger dc. let older dc walk and hold your hand. bring a small backpack purse (i love the vera bradley one). you will feel like a pack mule but its so nice to not have any bag fall off your shoulder or baby to juggle. then you can also roll your car seat right down the asile

Thanks everyone. In answer to the questions - DS isn't potty trained, I suppose that's a good thing under these circumstances. He has flown before, we flew a bunch before I was pregnant with DD, but it's been a year so I feel like it's a whole new thing for him.

Couple more questions - I think I need to at least bring DD's seat on the plane, there's no way DS will let me wear his sister have her sit on my lap for the whole time w/out throwing a fit, and it would be nice to put her down if I need to take him to the potty. My parents are actually coming from the East coast and meeting us, so I might be able to get them to bring 1 seat, but probably not 2. But I do like the idea of maybe leaving his car seat behind - if I do should I get a harness thing for him (can't remember what they are called, I'll have to look up on Amazon)?
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by echoesofspring View Post
    Thanks everyone. In answer to the questions - DS isn't potty trained, I suppose that's a good thing under these circumstances. He has flown before, we flew a bunch before I was pregnant with DD, but it's been a year so I feel like it's a whole new thing for him.

Couple more questions - I think I need to at least bring DD's seat on the plane, there's no way DS will let me wear his sister have her sit on my lap for the whole time w/out throwing a fit, and it would be nice to put her down if I need to take him to the potty. My parents are actually coming from the East coast and meeting us, so I might be able to get them to bring 1 seat, but probably not 2. But I do like the idea of maybe leaving his car seat behind - if I do should I get a harness thing for him (can't remember what they are called, I'll have to look up on Amazon)?
    You mean the Travel Vest (car seat alternative)?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I think it is a minimum of 30 pounds, how much does your DS weigh? We are looking to get it for our 4 year old for a few trips this year, it is a pretty low price right now. Wish I had pulled the trigger yesterday with my $5/$25 code from FB

Or do you mean the CARES harness for the airplane:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We bought that last year for DS1, and it was very helpful. It is going to be even more helpful for super duper wiggly DS2 this year!!
    Last edited by Mommy_Mea; 08-23-2013 at 06:16 AM.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011