kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Anyone not use a crib?

DS2 absolutely, positively, refuses to sleep in his crib. Has since birth. He's slept in a RnP, co-sleeper, swing, and his travel crib. Though the travel crib was for a week when he was 5 months and I slept on the floor next to him. Haven't been able to recreate that since. Anyway about a month ago he outgrew the swing and we started bed sharing. He is all over the place and pretty much hogs the entire king size bed. DH has said when DS2 is 12 months he's got to go to his own room. I really don't think we will be able to put him in a crib so I'm wondering if it's a terrible idea to just put him either on his crib mattress on the floor or get his big boy bed mattress and use that. Our mattress is on the floor right now because we were worried about him falling out of bed. I'm thinking about working slowly by putting his mattress in our room next to ours and putting him there and slowly moving him to his own room. Anyone done something similar? We'll have a gate at his door to keep him in his room and no dressers or bookshelves or anything in there. Basically just his mattress. That's how we had DS1s room when he was transitioned out of his crib.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

We did exactly that, at the same age, with two of our kids and it worked great!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Awesome thank you!! I just didn't know if I was envisioning it working out well because I really have no clue what else to do, or because it was do-able. Nice to have feedback from someone it worked for.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kaharris83 View Post
    Awesome thank you!! I just didn't know if I was envisioning it working out well because I really have no clue what else to do, or because it was do-able. Nice to have feedback from someone it worked for.
    I just saw this but yes, I had two kids who flat out refused to sleep in a crib. One had other issues, but one slept great on a real mattress and horribly in a crib. We used a queen and full size bed for our two and just kept it low to the ground. We made the transition with myself or Dh putting them to bed in their new room and then just going to them in the new room for night wakings. For us, it didn't end night wakings, but it did wonders for their sleep when we stopped trying to get them into a crib!
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I just saw this but yes, I had two kids who flat out refused to sleep in a crib. One had other issues, but one slept great on a real mattress and horribly in a crib. We used a queen and full size bed for our two and just kept it low to the ground. We made the transition with myself or Dh putting them to bed in their new room and then just going to them in the new room for night wakings. For us, it didn't end night wakings, but it did wonders for their sleep when we stopped trying to get them into a crib!
    Great thank you!! Also good to know I'm not the only one whose kiddo refused the crib. I thought maybe I just wasn't giving it enough time or approaching it the right way maybe, but I really think he just is not into the crib at all. It seems so much easier to me to embrace that and put him on his full size mattress than to fight him and force him into the crib.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

the only use our crib saw was to hold laundry.

ds transitioned at the youngest age, so far. he was 11 months and moved to a twin mattress basically on the floor (it was on a rolling trundle frame with no box springs, so about 12 inches from top of mattress to the floor). he loved it and was super excited to sleep in the room with his sister. he quickly learned how to roll out of it in the am. i think a transition by putting the bed in your room first is a great idea. i like that with the big bed, i can lay down with the dc to help the fall asleep, if needed. that is how we transitioned: i put them in their bed and patted their back until they fell asleep (or i would lay with them), and then gradually started to lay with them for less and less time.

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    the only use our crib saw was to hold laundry.

ds transitioned at the youngest age, so far. he was 11 months and moved to a twin mattress basically on the floor (it was on a rolling trundle frame with no box springs, so about 12 inches from top of mattress to the floor). he loved it and was super excited to sleep in the room with his sister. he quickly learned how to roll out of it in the am. i think a transition by putting the bed in your room first is a great idea. i like that with the big bed, i can lay down with the dc to help the fall asleep, if needed. that is how we transitioned: i put them in their bed and patted their back until they fell asleep (or i would lay with them), and then gradually started to lay with them for less and less time.
    Awesome!! Thanks!! I'm feeling hopeful this will work out.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012