Default Where to go from here? (nursing q)

posting here for traffic, mods feel free to move if it doesn't belong here

DS2 is 9.5 months. We are in the midst of a horrible nursing strike that is just one in a string of nursing strikes since he has been 4 months old. I don't think I can do this anymore, and I am coming to terms with the fact that our nursing relationship may be over. He has never taken a bottle, but but I did offer one yesterday out of despair (after basically 3 days of not eating) and he took it. My new plan is to pump and bottle feed, and attempt to nurse at night. (he has been refusing to nurse even at night in this latest strike). I have little hope of being able to keep up with his demands, and I have never responded well to the pump. I am hoping if I am dilligent at pumping, I will be able to build up my supply enough to make it through the next couple months.

My concerns are about what I should supplement with if my milk can't keep up. I really do not want to go to formula at this point. He has eczema which I have seen flare with dairy, (he has not been tested for allergies or anything like that) and I really am not excited about trying to find a formula he can tolerate.

Are there any other options at this point? I will obviously talk to the ped, just wondering if anyone has any experiences with anything like this. Is formula the only thing that would give him enough calories at this point. I guess it depends how much I am able to pump. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

At his age I would give hypoallergenic formula - it is more expensive but is designed for babies who do not tolerate dairy. Nutrimagin is one example but there are a couple of them.

Another option is soy formula.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

I really think you shouldn't go to regular (or alternative) milk yet. Can your pedi give you samples of a couple different types of formula to try?
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

MamaInMarch is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Have you considered donor milk? If you go the formula route, I would go Alimentum or Nutramigen. I am personally anti-soy formula. Not solely for this reason, but about 30% of the time those who don't tolerate dairy also don't tolerate soy.

I realize I may have no choice but to give formula. I am also not really ok with soy formula, So it would either be regular formula or hypo-allergenic. Is there any benefit to trying regular formula for a week or two and seeing what happens? I have no proof of correlation between his eczema flares and dairy, other than anecdotal evidence, but I hate to make him uncomfortable even for such a short trial period. I'm just praying I can keep up with the pump, but it doesn't seem likely.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by amom526 View Post
    I realize I may have no choice but to give formula. I am also not really ok with soy formula, So it would either be regular formula or hypo-allergenic. Is there any benefit to trying regular formula for a week or two and seeing what happens? I have no proof of correlation between his eczema flares and dairy, other than anecdotal evidence, but I hate to make him uncomfortable even for such a short trial period. I'm just praying I can keep up with the pump, but it doesn't seem likely.
    You could try something like Gerber Good Start. It's a regular formula, but the milk protein is broken down a little more than others. Not like Alimentum/Nutrimigen, but it could be easier for him and it's not expensive.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If he has a medical reason for needing the hypoallergenic formula and you can get a doctors note, usually insurance will pay for it. Definitely don't move to cows milk until closer to age 1.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

that was our plan had Similac Sensitive not worked for Dd2 we were going to go the hypoallergenic route. Dd2 had eczema as a newborn, but it ended up clearing up and was not an issue when she was on formula. Good luck!

I don't think it would be dumb to try regular formula for a week.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't have any experience on the formula front but wanted to send hugs for the nursing strike. I've BTDT with shorter strikes for both kids and it's nerve-wracking and painful.

Would he drink formula or BM out of another type of cup instead of a bottle? DS2 has been using a straw cup for water since maybe 8 months. We use the take and toss ones at home and this Vital babyone out of the house. He also uses Funtainers but they're a little heavier for small hands.