Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default *Upate in first Post *Camelbak water bottle...What am I doing wrong??

Update :

Just got off the phone with Camelbak. The directions on the packaging are kind of deceiving. You need to pull open the valve and then press the bite valve open with your thumb and finger. It took a few times but mine finally popped open and works! Obviously they have received numerous calls about this sort of problem! He also said you should never have to cut the straw to get them to work.

Thanks for everyone's help!

I purchased the Eddy for my ds. Took the first one back to Target yesterday because no water was coming out. Just assumed it was defective. Tried the new one this morning and it doesn't work. The only directions are flip it open, bite, and drink.

I feel like an idiot!

Ann
    Last edited by Pennylane; 08-29-2013 at 02:45 PM.

You're not an idiot!!! Most of the bite valves come closed. You have to work on them a bit to get them open. If you just bite and suck, the valve may still be shut, and you'll get nothing. Try squeezing and manipulating the valve a bit with your fingers or teeth. Make sure you can squeeze the valve and see that there's a hole there! If you can't get it open, you should exchange it, but I've never had that happen.

Still not working! I know I am doing something wrong...There is no way I have bought two defective ones is there?

Ann

Did you take the bite valve off the bottle and squish it? Have you tried to stick something through it from the bottom (off the bottle, of course.)

rachelh is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have a Camelback and sometimes have the same issue. I still have not figured out what it is. I do think the straw is very long and sometimes if it is not pushed in completed it might be touching the bottom of the bottle and doesn't allow the water in. I don't know that it is for sure the cause but usually after I play around with it a bit, it starts working. Someone told me they cut the bottom of their straw - maybe try that?
    DD1 6/9/06
    DD2 3/19/10

Quote Originally Posted by rachelh View Post
    I have a Camelback and sometimes have the same issue. I still have not figured out what it is. I do think the straw is very long and sometimes if it is not pushed in completed it might be touching the bottom of the bottle and doesn't allow the water in. I don't know that it is for sure the cause but usually after I play around with it a bit, it starts working. Someone told me they cut the bottom of their straw - maybe try that?
    Absolutely!!! If the bite valve is open, see if this is the issue. You probably won't need to cut it. You can just push it in. If you do need to cut it, my garden clippers did the job very easily. Scissors were a bit of a struggle.

This sounds like a lot of work to just get a water bottle to work properly. I'm going to call them tomorrow!

Ann

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I really like my Contigo water bottle. It looks like a Camelbak but no biting involved! It just has a flip open straw.

n2ou is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Don't just open it, bend it all the way back. As far open as it will go, more than 90 degrees.

Does that help?

I agree with everyone's straw advice.

I will say that the amount of finessing required to actually drink out of it and the annoyance of washing all the pieces has kept me from purchasing more than one Camelbak. Way too much of a PITA, IMO.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast