Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Generic Concerta?

After much medication trial and error, we switched younger DD to Concerta in early July and it worked very well for her. We refilled it in August and it looked different. The pharmacist said it was generic, but equivalent. After 2 weeks, I don't think it is equivalent. I also cannot find a picture of this particular pill anywhere on the net, even on the sites that show images for generics for Concerta.

Anyone here using Concerta and have any issues with it?
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have no concerta experience. But I do think generics can on occasion go wrong. I took generic Wellbutrin last year having taken branded in the past with no ill effects. It was a descent into hell. I am the least suicidal person I know and these terrible dark thoughts were flashing through my mind. I was manic which has never been an issue. All med personnel told me it was my depression (which had been extremely mild not even clinical) and to give the meds more time to help. My husband told me to throw them in the trash and not even taper. I did and all those symptoms vanished. Two months later I believe there was a recall based on the ill effects it was having. Anyway after this experience I am less trusting if drug formulations period in terms of consistency. I would def pay attention to your dd reactions.
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

Oh how awful for you!

Our issue is not that severe. The regular Concerta has a very even time release delivery mechanism vs the two bolus mechanism of most long acting ADHD meds. Concerta has a very particular "bullet" shape that makes it very distinctive. One of the generics is like this, but this generic does not have that distinctive shape. The med seems to have 2 boluses and seems to wear off earlier.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Oops double post.

The generic DH has looks like a large generic Advil. He has never been on the name brand, but no issues with generics so far. It's not impossible for the pharmacy to have given the wrong medicine. If you google the manufacturer and name, you should be able to find a picture. If the name works better for DD, will your insurance fill it with a doctor's no generic rx?

Edited: after showing DH that article, he told me he noticed a difference and thought the dosage was off, so he's going to try to exchange the rest of the pills for name. No idea if placebo effect is happening...
    Last edited by BunnyBee; 09-01-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Long ago I had a psychologist tell me to always go with the brand when it comes to psychiatric medications. Not sure how truthful it is, and she was not a psychiatrist after all, but that was the advice she gave me based on her experience with her patients.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

What manufacturer is listed on the bottle?
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

This blog had some interesting info and suggested reporting to the FDA if it is not working the same.

If the generic is not using the same delivery system, then that is likely why you are seeing the difference.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    Long ago I had a psychologist tell me to always go with the brand when it comes to psychiatric medications. Not sure how truthful it is, and she was not a psychiatrist after all, but that was the advice she gave me based on her experience with her patients.
    This has been our experience after painful trial and error. I will never take a generic psych medication and expect it to perform like the name brand.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

NO experience with Concerta, but I know that DH found that one of his anxiety meds in generic form didn't work as well, so it's entirely possible. But in your situation, it almost sounds like you possibly got a completely wrong med. I'd take it back to the pharmacy and double-check.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast