Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
It looks like that is generic for Ritalin SR. http://www.mallinckrodt.com/Template...l.aspx?id=1891

Ritalin SR is a sustained release which it looks like it is slower to take effect and supposed to give an even release of the dose over the day. Concerta has a two phase release which gives 22% of the dose as immediate release and then 78% over the rest of the day.

For most medications, the generic is fine. In the case of thyroid and a few other medications, there is such a tight dose window that the slight differences in brand can send you from fine to hypo even though the dose number is the same (I had this when I switched brands last time). In the case of Concerta, the mechanism of how it does the two-phase dosing is unique. It is not just an extended release, but a two-phase dose. The generic manufacturers have not been able to replicated it, likely because the mechanism itself is still protected by patent even though the medication is not. It is a pretty unique situation for this particular medication.
Thanks! I would not have been able to figure out that it was the equivalent of Ritalin SR myself, which is good to know! Also, good to know it looks like it takes 60-90 min to kick in. This is not really a problem for us, as she takes it before school and by the time she gets there it would kick in.