Default Vyvanse, anyone?

Psychiatrist prescribed Vyvanse for DD (age 9 in two weeks) for ADHD-inattentive type since her anxiety now seems to be better controlled on Zoloft. She is having some impulse/attention issues, so we are supposed to try a small dose 10-20mg.

Any real-life experience here. I'm frankly terrified that this is going to backfire or just be really ugly, but that's only because the side effects list is so terrifying.

The psych did have us make an appt. with a pedi cardiologist to do a baseline EKG so that makes me feel a little better....but then again, the fact that this could mess with her heart is very, very scary.

Any good/bad experiences or hints?
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My husband has taken it for over a year and other than the usual dry mouth and lack of an appetite in the beginning he has had no problems and really likes it.

FWIW he has taken Adderall, Concerta, Focalin XR, and Daytrana in the past.

HTH
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

LOVED Vyvanse for DD!! Seriously was a miracle drug for her. Unfortunately, she had side effects and had to stop taking it. We haven't been able to find anything else that has worked for her, so she is currently on nothing. Her side effects were insomnia and weight loss. Irritability too, but that seems to just be my DD's personality and just increases with any meds. If the EKG is clear, it's worth a shot. I hope it works for her!

SummerBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My 9 year old DD has been taking Vyvanse for almost 2 years. It works extremely well for her ADHD. She initially had some side effects- mainly she failed to gain any weight for a year, and she also had problems sleeping. Eventually she got her appetite back and gained about 6 lbs since January. Sometimes I think it might exacerbate her irritability, but its hard to tell. I essentially took her off it for the summer and she was basically a wreck- she just can't pay attention, which becomes dangerous in places like amusement parks. So for us, any side effects have been far outweighed by positive effects.

My daughter tried Vyvanse last year when she was 9. We had a TERRIBLE experience! She did great while at school, but when she came home she was horrible! She threw fits, cred, and screamed! The doctor said she was probably having withdrawals. Her ped tried increasing the dosage hoping it would last longer, but that didn't work either. Now we aren't taking anything. She also had an EKG beforehand since she has a heart defect. She really needs something, but I'm too scared to try anything new.