Default Question for pikkolo users

When (if at all) did you need to start using the support belt for the Pikkolo? I am undecided between the Pikkolo and the Beco Gemini for my 2 week old but would prefer not to have to buy extra accessories.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I had a small kid, and never used it. I bought it and it was never opened! I wore DD2 in the Pikkolo from a few weeks old till about 9-10 months, after which I mostly used the Ergo.

for Sandy Hook

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    I had a small kid, and never used it. I bought it and it was never opened! I wore DD2 in the Pikkolo from a few weeks old till about 9-10 months, after which I mostly used the Ergo.
    i had the exact opposite experience. i got the Pikkkolo when DS was 4-5 months old and had to use it from the get-go. it says it recommended for babies 18 lbs or more which he was by 3 months for sure.

With DD, i wore her in the sleepy wrap unti lshe was about 3 mo, then i wore her in the pikkolo. The support belt was still on from when i got it with ds..never took it off. i got mine for free but i totally would have paid the $20 for it. i woudln't use it without it. I have huge huge chubby babies though (who are born tiny but somehow chub up super quick!)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Stick with the Pikkolo - the broader body will be your best friend as your baby gets heavier, as will the support belt. The wider body will help keep a bigger babe in a more "bum below the knees" kind of position for FFI carries, and a better seat for FFO (if that's your thing; it wasn't mine) ... and as they both can do back-carries, you've got a carrier than can last beyond 20-ish lbs, depending on your frame & comfort level.

I am not a Pikkolo user, but after going on 4 years' worth of babywearing with my DD, I wouldn't recommend a carrier without a support belt, whether built in or an add-on, especially if you intend on wearing your baby beyond infancy. The support belt helps to redistribute Baby's weight to your hips, which is the lovely thing about an SSC and makes them a great option for longer wearing.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Thanks for the replies. I ordered the Pikkolo to try out. It's back ordered on Amazon but I was able to use my 10% registry discount so that helps. I'm hoping to use it without the belt for a few months because I do want something less bulky. After that I suppose I can switch to the Ergo which we already have. I never really used it with DD1 because it was so uncomfortable for me. Maybe I can make it work this time around.

Default Question for pikkolo users

I used the pikkolo with DS1 from 2-18 months. I never used the support belt. He was pretty average weight by 1 year.

Right now DS2 is 2.5 weeks old, and I'm using a baby k'tan inherited from my sister. Now sure when I will switch to the pilkolo, but I love that carrier.

ETa: I found the pikkolo to work better than the ergo. It was way less bulky and I liked how I could cross cross the straps in the back.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

joules is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I started wearing the belt around the previously mentioned 18 pound mark with DS1. I probably didn't absolutely have to have the support belt at that time, I probably could have lasted a little longer without it. But I just decided to put in on one day and just left it there. With DS2, since the belt was already on I was too lazy to take it off so I used it with the belt since day 1.
    DS1 - 03/10
    DS2 - 02/12

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've never used it. I wore DD on my front (facing me) until she was around 13 months....had I worn her much longer in the front, I probably would have needed it. However, I switched to wearing her on my back around then, and I've never needed it. DD is 18 months and 23 lbs. now (been in the 30's percentile since birth). I definitely don't wear her nearly as often now, but I've had no problems w/o the support belt (which I do own, I've just never tried). (FWIW, my friend has the Gemini and I like my Pikkolo better)
    Lizi

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I also used the Sleepy Wrap for a few months then switched to my Pikkolo. Never used the support belt, but on,y carried Dd up to a year. Once she was walking, she wasn't happy separated from all the action (I.e. big brother running around everywhere).
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD was a huge baby and I used the support belt starting when she was less then a year. She is older than 3 now (40 lbs, 40 inches) and I still use the pikkolo every so often. Like when we go with a group to a baseball game and there will be a ton of walking to the seats etc. (I wear her on my front facing me. For some reason she hates to be on my back.)

I would definitely get the belt.
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)