Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 1 day in San Diego with kids, where to stay & what to do

We will be going to Legoland for 1 day , Disneyland for 3.5 days & we will be in San Diego one full day.

Any hotel recommendations for a family of 5? Bonus if it is a hilton family hotel. I was looking at the embassy suites downtown with a view of the bay but it is over $300 a night.

The no brainer would be to go to the zoo but are there any other ideas? I saw there is a duck tour boat/bus that I think my kids would like. We like zoos but they aren't our favorite but I know that San Diego Zoo is THE zoo.
    Mama to 3

Search this forum--there have been LOTS of posts on San Diego and Hilton Hotel Recs.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Can you be more specific about your agenda? Disney is in Anaheim; Legoland is about 2 hours south of that in Carlsbad; the zoo is about an hour further south in San Diego. Are you looking for a place near Carlsbad or down in San Diego?

We really like the Homewood Suites (Hilton line) at Liberty Station, which is close enough to the Zoo. There is one up in Del Mar, too, which is closer to Legoland, but I never have stayed there. There are numerous Hilton brand hotels throughout the area, but be sure to check about parking fees. The Hampton Inn near Midway had a daily charge, which I never have seen for a Hampton Inn anywhere else. (The Homewood Suites has complimentary parking, complimentary hot breakfast every day, and complimentary light dinner M-Th.)

Old Town San Diego and Seaport Village are some other options. They are near each other and near Liberty Station. There also is the rest of Balboa Park (the part that isn't the zoo). There are museums, playgrounds, and sports facilities there (frisbee golf!). There is a little boardwalk park with a roller coaster and a few other rides in Misssion Bay, but I'm drawing a total blank on its name. It would not fill a whole day but could be combined with something else (maybe Seaport Village). [ETA: Belmont Park]
    Last edited by sariana; 09-12-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We stayed at the Hilton by the convention center for 2 nights and the Liberty Station Homewood Suites for 4. The location for walking was great by the convention center as were the views. The Homewood Suites was super and very family friendly. For just one night though, I'd probably go with the Hilton.

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    Can you be more specific about your agenda? Disney is in Anaheim; Legoland is about 2 hours south of that in Carlsbad; the zoo is about an hour further south in San Diego. Are you looking for a place near Carlsbad or down in San Diego?

We really like the Homewood Suites (Hilton line) at Liberty Station, which is close enough to the Zoo. There is one up in Del Mar, too, which is closer to Legoland, but I never have stayed there. There are numerous Hilton brand hotels throughout the area, but be sure to check about parking fees. The Hampton Inn near Midway had a daily charge, which I never have seen for a Hampton Inn anywhere else. (The Homewood Suites has complimentary parking, complimentary hot breakfast every day, and complimentary light dinner M-Th.)

Old Town San Diego and Seaport Village are some other options. They are near each other and near Liberty Station. There also is the rest of Balboa Park (the part that isn't the zoo). There are museums, playgrounds, and sports facilities there (frisbee golf!). There is a little boardwalk park with a roller coaster and a few other rides in Misssion Bay, but I'm drawing a total blank on its name. It would not fill a whole day but could be combined with something else (maybe Seaport Village). [ETA: Belmont Park]
    We will fly in to San Diego, drive to Carlsbad (stay a night), then drive to Anaheim (stay 4 nights), then drive back down to San Diego for 2 nights ( but only 1 full day), then fly out of SAN.

I guess my question is should we just do the zoo or should we try for several other smaller things to fill our day? I've never been to San Diego before.
    Mama to 3

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Search this forum--there have been LOTS of posts on San Diego and Hilton Hotel Recs.
    I have but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Maybe I didn't look enough. TY
    Mama to 3

sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Octobermommy View Post
    We will fly in to San Diego, drive to Carlsbad (stay a night), then drive to Anaheim (stay 4 nights), then drive back down to San Diego for 2 nights ( but only 1 full day), then fly out of SAN.

I guess my question is should we just do the zoo or should we try for several other smaller things to fill our day? I've never been to San Diego before.
    Okay, then I definitely recommend the Liberty Station Homewood Suites. It also is right by the airport.

How old are your children? If you are not "zoo people," there definitely are plenty of other things to do.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    Okay, then I definitely recommend the Liberty Station Homewood Suites. It also is right by the airport.

How old are your children? If you are not "zoo people," there definitely are plenty of other things to do.
    My kids are 3,5,9
    Mama to 3

Quote Originally Posted by Octobermommy View Post
    My kids are 3,5,9
    How often do your kids get to go to the beach? If you go all the time, then you can ignore my suggestion. But if you're like us and don't get there very often, then my recommendation is to stay right on the beach. (We stayed at La Jolla Shores and loved it.) That way you can maximize your time at the beach and it's easy to go back to your room to go to the restroom, take a nap, get a snack, whatever, and then go back to the beach later.

We've done many big things in San Diego (e.g., Legoland, San Diego Zoo, Sea World, kayak tour, etc.) but my kids have the most fun just hanging out at the beach. Depending on how adventurous your older kids are, they may like boogie boarding (my boys LOVED it last year when they were around those ages). We bought two for around $12 each at Walmart and then sold them after using them for $5 each to a family on the beach.

Another option is going to Belmont Park on Mission Beach. That way you get to spend time on the beach and can also do the roller coaster and other rides (some would work for a 3-year-old like small boats that go around and a merry-go-round). They also have a high-ropes course (DS LOVED it when he was 9), rock-climbing, laser tag, bumper cars, etc. We were always able to find coupons for there.

Of all the things we've done in San Diego, the zoo was probably one of our least favorite activity. We're not really zoo people in general and found the zoo to be extremely crowded (it'll be less crowded now, though--we went in summer). The little shows that they have are nice but weren't that exciting for my kids after going to Sea World.

Have fun!

ETA that one time we did the following during the hours before heading back to the airport (after checking out of our hotel) and it worked out really well. DS1 was 6 then and went with DH to tour the USS Midway. (http://www.midway.org/) He really enjoyed it and I've heard from other friends that their boys have liked it too. During that time, I went with DS2 who was 3 then on the ferry over to Coronodo Island. (The ferry is right next door to the Midway, and they're close to the airport.) DS2 enjoyed riding on the water and I was able to push him in his stroller. On Coronado, we walked around the shops, ate lunch together, etc. then headed back on the ferry to meet up with DH and DS1.
    Last edited by justlearning; 09-12-2013 at 07:55 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I was underwhelmed by the zoo and it is so expensive!

I'm on my phone and can't remember the other replies but I'd do Balboa Park and/or La Jolla. The aquarium at UCSD is good and the location rocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast