Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default jealous of halloween supermom.

Another year, and the Halloween supermom has stuck again.

This stay-at-home mom goes all out with homemade costumes for all of her (now six) kids. Previous years have been the Pooh gang, with a seven-month prego mom as Kanga with a little stuffed Roo on the tummy; four different Disney princesses; Shrek, Donkey, Fiona, Dragon, and the prince; and now...

The whole Oozma Kappa Frat from Monsters University.

Please stop. This is getting embarrassing for the rest of us.

Thank you.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh I can understand feeling that way. Personally, my kids get to pick out a $20 costume from party city so we are not fancy people by any means! I confess to liking looking at the beautiful homemade ones and think sometimes my kids would really love it. But it isn't something I choose to spend my time on. I also notice that my feelings of "jealousy" depend on the intent of the person, if that makes sense. I have lots of friends, for example, that have "braggy" FB posts but I know these people and they share their struggles AND their triumphs and because they are open and earnest I sincerely celebrate with them! On the other hand, I have a SIL who does things just to get a show. When she is boasting it is obnoxious in a "Nelly Olsen" type of way. Hard to describe but she just isn't a collaborator and always has to be the best so when she "excels" at something it kind of makes me roll my eyes! Mean but true...

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I know this is a BP and I kind of hate her too but maybe Halloween is just her thing. I always go all out (granted I don't get anywhere near Pooh and the gang)

I bet her kids hate it, at least one of them wanted to be something outside of the theme. The kids memories are going to be how mom always dressed us as a group and they never got the joy of being exactly what they wanted.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I totally get it. I love making my kid's costumes but this year I'm toying with the idea of just taking them to the store and being DONE with it. If anything, your post makes me feel a little better about that!

(oh, and no I don't do themes. We do silly stuff like SpiderMan and a cheetah. So I'm nuts but not as nuts as the lady mentioned by OP. )
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I totally get it too. Halloween gives me anxiety. It did as a kid and it still does as the mom. As a kid I never felt creative for my costume and my mom didn't sew and my dad wasn't handy so I never had a nice homemade costume or something clever made from a cardboard box. Now as the mom who doesn't sew I feel the disappointment/anxiety I had as a kid for my own kids. But they are happy and that's what matters to me. I don't have the time/energy to come up with a family theme and to craft something original. DDs tell me what they want to be and I buy it from the store. If I'm lucky I already have it as a hand me down from my nieces
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Halloween is a big deal for us in our house - it's DH's and my "mini-versary," the anniversary of when we first met.

HOWEVER, I am strictly store-bought in the costume department. My sewing machine is currently gathering dust on my 3rd floor. If I chose to sew a costume, I would have had to start in July because my free time is so limited.

The only "craft" I do for Halloween is carving jack-o-lanterns, actually, because they can be done in an hour or two the evening before.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I admit I'm handy with a sewing machine and I love Halloween. However I don't have time to make costumes. ANd I know my kids will ask for something the week before and DH & I will scramble to get something together. I think we'll get the kids off the shelf this year. So don't feel bad, I bet the older kids are griping that they can't wear what they want.

Jen
    Mom to 4 wonderful children

DS#1 7/96
    DS#2 11/00
    DD#1 11/03
    DD#2 6/08

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Holy moly! How does one make time for that?!?
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Someone with that many kids doesn't have time to sew. She's got a sweat shop with slave labor set up somewhere.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Reason #137 why I would not do well as a SAHM- too much pressure to do creative crafty things like awesome Halloween costumes!
    I do have to say though that when I was a kid, my dad did the most awesome Halloween costumes. He actually worked full time too, with his own custom woodworking shop. It was just a talent he had and he just really got into creating our costumes.
    DD
    DS

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast