Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well, my boys would have nothing to do with it, even if I sewed up a storm trooper or something. It is a huge day in our house when they get to go to the Halloween store and pick out their costumes!

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

like a PP said, halloween is likely her thing. I know it is mine. I go crazy over Halloween. My house is a sheer disaster, but i will go to town with all the Halloween themed-crafts, making our own Halloween candy , visiting pumpkin patches, halloween decorations, and all that. it probably seems like supermom bc u think if she does this for halloween, what does she do for Christmas and whatnot. well for me i don't do much for Christmas except for santa photos and such. for whatever reason i obsess over Halloween. it is my favorite holiday by far. this lady probably has the same obsession.

this is my first halloween while working and i'm actually considering takig half a day off just so i can take my kids to the pumpkin patch.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 09-13-2013 at 02:03 PM.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elliput View Post
    Someone with that many kids doesn't have time to sew. She's got a sweat shop with slave labor set up somewhere.
    Maybe that's why she has so many kids? The bigger ones are 'homeschooled' in the family costume sweatshop in the basement.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

kellyd is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

As a SAHM to 3 I'm exhausted just reading that I did homemade theme costumes 1 year and all I did was make DH's and mine. We were dorothy, the lion and the scarecrow. We had a really cute lion given to us by a cousin for DS. he was 1 1/2 and it was for the halloween party at DH's school and for DS to help pass out candy lol. I won't say I'll never do it again, but I hope to never do it again lol. I'm currently googling pterodactyl costumes hoping like crazy DS changes his mind and thanking my luck that the girls want to be disney princesses again this year LOL.
    Mom to DS born June 2008 and twin DD's August 2010

Oh my gosh, I need her number quick! I'm already hyperventilating at the thought of having to think up a pippi longstocking costume for DD. Why, oh why did I have to read those books to her?

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I totally get it too. Halloween gives me anxiety. It did as a kid and it still does as the mom. As a kid I never felt creative for my costume and my mom didn't sew and my dad wasn't handy so I never had a nice homemade costume or something clever made from a cardboard box. Now as the mom who doesn't sew I feel the disappointment/anxiety I had as a kid for my own kids.
    Don't feel disappointed that your kids have a costume bought from a store. My mum was one of those that went all for costumes or birthday cakes. I would feel guilty for buying, but realized my love for DS isn't solely expressed in making the best costume or amazing cake. It's being there and enjoying the entire celebration.

So when my mother asks what cake I'm making for DS for his birthday, I proudly say "a cake from the bakery!" Her reply is "You can't buy his cake" and every time I say, "Yes, I can." No more guilt for not having the time or the skill or the patience to make from scratch.

OP, I agree with others that said her kids may not like not having a choice in what they get to be. My mother had a vision for what she wanted and that's what we got. I much prefer DS getting the choice and then working out how to get the costume - most often bought as I don't have time/skill/patience to make it.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMolly View Post
    Maybe that's why she has so many kids? The bigger ones are 'homeschooled' in the family costume sweatshop in the basement.
    Of course! Why didn't that occur to me?

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Don't feel disappointed that your kids have a costume bought from a store. My mum was one of those that went all for costumes or birthday cakes. I would feel guilty for buying, but realized my love for DS isn't solely expressed in making the best costume or amazing cake. It's being there and enjoying the entire celebration.
    Yes. Sometimes I have the time and energy to bake the cake or make the costume and sometimes I don't. Last year, DD had a costume I made (a green t-shirt with a kerchief hem skirt attached, ie super easy), and DS's costume was a fabulous find at TJ Maxx.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

I hate Halloween. Passionately. I actually think the entire family outfitted as Pooh characters sounds kind of dumb and embarrassing. Adults in Halloween costumes freak me out.

My mom made all my costumes, but all I really wanted was the boxed plastic costume from K Mart. Her kids will likely need therapy, while yours will spend all the money buying diamonds and sending you on cruises in your old age. It will all work out in the end .
    Green Tea, mom to three

Yeish.
    The only time we did the "family" costume thing was when DS1 was 3 1/2 and DS2 was 3 months old.
    We did Star Wars- DS1 was Luke, I was Leia, DH was Han Solo, and DS2 was Chewy.
    I did have them do Batman and Robin two years ago. It was hilarious. But I don't have the time or the energy to do the whole family again!!!
    Child home school sweatshop, indeed! It HAS to be the only way!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    I hate Halloween. Passionately. I actually think the entire family outfitted as Pooh characters sounds kind of dumb and embarrassing. Adults in Halloween costumes freak me out.

My mom made all my costumes, but all I really wanted was the boxed plastic costume from K Mart. Her kids will likely need therapy, while yours will spend all the money buying diamonds and sending you on cruises in your old age. It will all work out in the end .
    Ditto all of this!
    Halloween is just not my thing!
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast