Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyAnn View Post
    I know this is a BP and I kind of hate her too but maybe Halloween is just her thing.
    Coming back to this as had a long conversation with another parent. She goes all out for Halloween and birthdays. Her kids are involved in the process and get to help do things. Her oldest DC is learning how to sew and helps with the costumes. It sounded like a real family activity with everyone pitching in. This is her thing. I said my thing is to go over the Halloween costume catalog with DS. We both agreed that it has to be something you enjoy doing, have the skills, time and patience. There was no competition or implication that one way is better than the other as the end result is the same, the kids have a great Halloween.

So OP, don't compare what you do with this other mom, end result is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Another year, and the Halloween supermom has stuck again.

This stay-at-home mom goes all out with homemade costumes for all of her (now six) kids. Previous years have been the Pooh gang, with a seven-month prego mom as Kanga with a little stuffed Roo on the tummy; four different Disney princesses; Shrek, Donkey, Fiona, Dragon, and the prince; and now...

The whole Oozma Kappa Frat from Monsters University.

Please stop. This is getting embarrassing for the rest of us.

Thank you.
    I commiserate. My good friend has now, for the entire time I have known her (12yrs) has successfully sewed her (only) daughters costumes from my meeting her in our DD's first grade class through school and now she is sewing for her now college freshman!

I am a "lets think I something cool and rummage thru the house and goodwill!" We use old and new pieces.

Anyway..now that her dd is away she is kinda taking my little one under her sewing wing . Although she is still making her kiddo a costume.

No complaints here!!!! Ill be happy to provide the hair!
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I make my kids' costumes every year - and every year I look at the store bought costumes and see how much nicer they are. NO judgement from me - I think those of you who are buying them are probably making the smart choice.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Not a huge fan of Halloween although I do look forward to getting some excercise walking the kids around and talking with friends. My kids are getting costumes from Etsy most likely. DD1 wants to be Lela from Teen Beach Movie though and she is not happy that I won't let her wear this biker like outfit (not to mention it is sold out on Spirit and Party City websites) so I am most likely getting her a dress like this from Etsy, and DD2 is going to be a Minion from Despicable Me so that one I can get at Party City, but am leaning towards Etsy because DD1 will change her mind a million times when we are there, but will still be mad that I won't get her the biker outfit.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Right with you, OP! Object of my envy and admiration in equal parts!

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    I make my kids' costumes every year - and every year I look at the store bought costumes and see how much nicer they are. NO judgement from me - I think those of you who are buying them are probably making the smart choice.
    I would love to do home-made if I a) had time b) could pull it off without them looking like a preschooler made their costumes. I am not crafty. And like the OP, I'm peeved and jealous and in awe of those who are and can pull this off!

Awesome for the supermoms who do the parties and the crafts and the costumes so fabulously, but you know you're making the rest of us just look bad, right? (But I just can't look away from their blogs and photos!)

My positive spin on it is this: my older DD wants store bought everything so it would be awful if I was actually any good at this home-made stuff! She's mortified that her parents make her birthday cake, and would even think about making her costume. So good thing I don't have all that talent to waste!

for Sandy Hook

My mom used to make our Halloween costumes every year and all I ever wanted was a store-bought costume! The same thing with food. She baked/cooked everything and I would go to my friends' houses to get mac & cheese from a box (delicious!). You always tend to want what's on the other side!
    Debbie

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We take the Sandra Lee approach to Halloween. It's semi homemade.

For example, last year older DD was a witch and younger DD was her black cat familiar. They came up with the idea themselves. For older DD, we bought a $1 witch hat from the Target One spot and a "costume" broom. She wore a black shirt and skirt over colorful leggings and black boots. (All of which she already had.) For younger DD we bought a cheap set of ears and tails from the costume section of the party store and then she wore black pants and a black turtleneck. We drew whiskers on her face. Presto, two instant costumes all for less than $10.

We've done similar things in the past and sometimes they just wear something they already own (like a dress up dress or a ballerina/dance costume).
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just an fyi ... my neighbors little girl was Pippi one year and they did her braids and put some wire to make them stand up. Before we went out to trick or treat, we wove a couple of orange glow stick bracelets through the braids. People loved it and it made her more visible crossing the streets in the dark!

Quote Originally Posted by lkoala View Post
    Oh my gosh, I need her number quick! I'm already hyperventilating at the thought of having to think up a pippi longstocking costume for DD. Why, oh why did I have to read those books to her?

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I can't sew. I do have really hard to fit kids and we have had to get creative with Halloween costumes. When DS1 was Indiana Jones we had to find a pair of brown pants and a khaki shirt at the thrift store. Bought the hat, satchel and whip at the Halloween store to accessorize. He was thrilled! When he wanted to be a soldier/army man .... none of the costumes would fit ... kids sizes were too small and adults were too large! We ended up at an army surplus store .. again he was thrilled.

I will say that my DH went nuts the year DS wanted to be a Ghostbuster. We have a Proton pack still knocking around in the toy closet. It was really awesome... lights and everything. There were grown men on the street stopping my DS and talking to his dad about the pack!

Sometimes it is fun to be able to get crafty and creative .... but there is something so nice about walking into a Halloween store and having your kid pick out a $20 ninja costume (and being totally excited about it)!

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    Just an fyi ... my neighbors little girl was Pippi one year and they did her braids and put some wire to make them stand up. Before we went out to trick or treat, we wove a couple of orange glow stick bracelets through the braids. People loved it and it made her more visible crossing the streets in the dark!
    That is a great idea! Thanks for sharing! Definitely beats DD's idea of dyeing her hair red... Now to figure out the clothes!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast