Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    DD1 is also 7 and is bright, but I don't know if she's officially gifted and talented. She is a total bookworm and will check out 20 books from the library every other week (if I go that often!). DH also has probably bought her 50-60 books or more (her room is overwhelmed by books).

She's really enjoyed book series the most. We read Little House series to her when she was 4 but maybe she'll re-read them herself now. Last year she enjoyed many Magic Treehouse and Box Car Children books but decided this past summer she's "done" with them. She's read almost all of Beverly Cleary's books (the Ramona, Henry, and Ralph S. Mouse series), all the Ivy and Bean books, a bunch of Pony Pal books (I think she's up to book 19?), the Nancy Drew Clue Crew series (geared toward younger readers), a bunch of the Disney Fairy books (Tinkerbell and Pixie Hollow friends), and the Rainbow Magic Fairy series.

She's also read all the chapter books by Grace Lin (Pacy is a Taiwanese-American girl who is featured in a few of her books and then there are 2 more Chinese myth-based books). I think OP is also Asian so it might be nice to introduce your DD to an Asian American protagonist. I just checked and the Scholastic website says that Dumpling Days, Year of the Dog, When the Mountain Meets the Moon, and Starry River and the Sky, are all grade level 5. Wow, I didn't realize they were that advanced! DD read those books after reading the Ruby Lu series by Lenore Look, which is definitely more for younger graders (grade 3 per Scholastic).

Right now she's reading a fantasy series SIL gave her, Enchanted Forest Chronicles, which has far more sophisticated vocabulary and seems a bit above her in terms of subject matter but I haven't had a chance to read much of it. I read her a chapter every night before bed but she's also devouring them in the interim so I've read 4 chapters so far and she's almost done with the second book.

Hope these suggestions help!
    Ooh, thanks. DD1 is the same - age 7 but reading her 11 year old cousin's books. She reads easily 4 hours a day! Content is the issue. She has read a lot of unabridged classics - Anne of Green Gables, Heidi, the Jungle Book, Peter Pan, Wizard of Oz. Dr Dolittle, Treasure Island, Alice in Wonderland etc. In addition to what's been mentioned she likes the A-Z mysteries, the Thea Stilton mysteries (and Geronimo), the American Girl books, the Goddess Girls series (starring Greek goddesses), All of a Kind Family, Super Fudge (Judy Blume), Puppy Place mysteries, the horse books (Misty, Black Beauty etc). None of this is super high lit except the classics mentioned above. She has actually read the unabridged Little Women as well but is too nervous to read Harry Potter as she scares easily. She glosses over the sad parts where characters get sick or die in books like Little Women...

for Sandy Hook

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    This is a good way for all kids to choose appropriate books:
    http://www.portlandlibraryct.org/PDF...2010BISsrl.pdf
    I like the 5 fingers rule. I think those books she read may be too easy for her as I've never seen her use dictionary I got her.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyBee View Post
    If you're trying to supplement her school, I'd google for third grade book lists. Then fourth grade. But keep in mind that being "gifted" and reading at a "fourth grade level" doesn't mean she's emotionally mature enough to read fourth grade books. They start dealing with death and more mature themes which can scare younger kids or go right over their heads. A second grader may be able to read the words of a difficult book, but understanding and appreciating the literature is different.
    That happened when I gave her some of the biographies. She doesn't like the books that mentioned about the death, war.

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for this thread! DD is 6 and in 1st grade so 1 year behind yours, so I don't have anything to add, but will bookmark this thread for reference! I always am on the lookout for more books for my little bookworm!
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

I have 2 girls (ages 6 and 8) who I also struggle to keep stocked with age-appropriate, level-appropriate reading material. Neither of them like "heavy books" (Lemony Snicket gets no love here) and they both love "funny characters" so that skews our library a bit. I second a lot of the suggestions you've already been given (anything by Ron Roy and Roald Dahl especially!). A few others I would add (roughly in order of reading difficulty):

Ready Freddy series
    Judy Moody series
    My Weird School series
    Bad Kitty chapter books
    Clementine series
    Pippi Longstocking series
    Humphrey series
    Frankly Frannie series
    Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series
    Emily Windsnap series

And when she's ready for longer/harder books (what I'd call Harry Potter level):
    The Mysterious Benedict Society series
    The Name of This Book is Secret series
    Molly Moon series
    Mousenet
    Secret Garden, A Little Princess
    Ella Enchanted series
    Frog Princess series and Wide Awake Princess series both by E.D. Baker (these are a bit more "search for true love" than I like but the princesses are MUCH more proactive than the Disney Princesses so I let it go)
    From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler
    Tuesdays at the Castle
    Hoot and other books by Carl Hiaasen
    39 clues series

For non- fiction, we've really enjoyed the "Who was ..." series. I think it talks about serious events in a very age- appropriate way and it does a great job of putting the famous people into the context of their historical times. We're also fans of:
    "I Survived" series
    Tales of Famous Americans and Tales of Famous Heroes
    National Geographic Kids chapter books (ex: Tigers in Trouble!)

I say "we" because I try to read at least one book in each series before okaying them. But I can't keep up so I can only say that these books should all be age- appropriate for a 7-8 year old as far as I know. And I try to limit their exposure to poor behavior and "tween themes" so no Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Twilight books are to be found on their bookshelves.

I like to use arbookfind.com to look up reading levels because it also gives an "Interest level". LG is lower grades (K-2), MG is middle grades (3-5) and UG is Upper Grades (6+). That way I can save a little time by eliminating all the "UG" rated books right away.

Hope this helps a little! I know firsthand how much work it is!!
    Kate, mama to
    2DDs and a DS

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Don't forget to include poetry! Anything by Shel Silverstein (except the Giving Tree, could be too sad for your DD) and anything by Jack Prelutsky. These two poets are a must in my book for any kid who loves words.
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

You could use the MENSA kids book list as a guide:

http://www.mensaforkids.org/content/...eaderaward.cfm

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Geronimo Stilton
    Thornton Burgess animal books (some have dated stereotypes in them and so forth, but there are some good ones, and the language is nice)
    All of a Kind Family
    Cynthia Rylant books (Cobblestreet Cousins, etc.)
    TumTum and Nutmeg
    Homer Price
    Henry Huggins and Ribsy series
    Mouse and the Motorcycle series
    Stuart Little
    Charlotte's Web
    Roald Dahl
    Pippi series and Children of Noisy Village
    Misty of Chincoteague
    Winnie the Pooh
    Sarah Plain and Tall
    Just So Stories
    Wizard of Oz series

Definitely encourage the nonfiction reading too, as PPs have suggested. There are some great books on mythology, etc. that we've enjoyed. (Mary Pope Osborne has some good ones http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Odyssey-.../dp/1423128648, and then there are things like D'Aulaires' Greek Myths: http://www.amazon.com/DAulaires-Gree...d_bxgy_b_img_z )

Have you ever looked into the Michael Clay Thompson language-illustrated classics? http://www.rfwp.com/series/mct-literature-program My kids love these. We use MCT's language arts materials and my kids have really blossomed with them. Alice in Wonderland, Wind in the Willows, etc. He has little text boxes, footnotes, etc where he defines challenging vocabulary, points out some of the lovely poetic devices used in the prose, etc. She may be a touch young for those (or not), but you may be interested in them for the future. His materials are well suited to the gifted because of the depth.
    Last edited by brittone2; 09-14-2013 at 09:56 AM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Default Q to Moms of Gifted kids: What do your kids read?

My DD is at the same level. I used to think I should only check out grade level books but really many books even at easier levels have fun stories. I still always get a lot of picture books. I want her to also appreciate the illustrations. Many are often folk tales from different countries. We regularly check out 30-40 books every couple of weeks.

DD is also currently interested in almanacs and ripley believe it or not books. In general she will read anything.

I don't have specific suggestions, but wanted to mention that if you're encouraging reading as a hobby/life long interest rather than just trying to help with her school work, I would have her read whatever she likes. When I was a few years older than your daughter and reading much above grade level, my Mom tried having me read fiction that was at my reading level rather than my age level, and it was one of the few times in my life I didn't love reading. If the books at her reading level are not also at her maturity/interest level it will not work well. The books you mentioned seem very age appropriate, and if she likes them she should keep reading them. Reading lots of nonfiction youth books is also good, and it may be easier for you to find nonfiction that is closer to her reading level as long as you stick to topics she is interested.

Another suggestion -- if you have a local library with a good children's/youth librarian, ask them what they would recommend for an advanced reader your daughter's age. The good ones will know which books will be a little more challenging, but still interesting and age appropriate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast