Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    We are booked for a preferred POR room in April. I am wondering if renting a car and doing non-preferred is as good as the bus and preferred?

I had crossed a rental off just due to having to bring carseats, but by then DS1 will likely be good with nothing, DD can easily do a backless and I'd be fine with a backless for DS2 or maybe the RideSafer vest. It might not be the hassle I was envisioning.
    well it won't be as good for getting to the main building and pool, but it will be BETTER than relying on the busses for the parks/other resorts, so....how often will you need to be at the main building?
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by megs4413 View Post
    well it won't be as good for getting to the main building and pool, but it will be BETTER than relying on the busses for the parks/other resorts, so....how often will you need to be at the main building?
    No idea. Probably to eat at least once or twice. Can we drive to the main building? I imagine we'll use the pool. Maybe I need to add in more and do both the preferred and a rental car.
    Kris

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    No idea. Probably to eat at least once or twice. Can we drive to the main building? I imagine we'll use the pool. Maybe I need to add in more and do both the preferred and a rental car.
    I have no idea how full the parking lots typically are, but there are parking spots over by the preferred buildings. I checked that in case there weren't, as it seemed like it would defeat some of the convenience of having a car if you have to walk too far to your car. There's also "lobby parking" on the map, but I don't know if you can use that for the food court or how full it typically is.
    http://www.portorleans.org/maps-and-directions.php

My friend IRL who posts here, kochh2 is a regular disney goer and her DH is a former CM. She has stayed at POR in the past. She mentioned to me that one other nice thing about driving is that the car provides a place to stash a stroller (or two in our case) in the trunk, which I hadn't thought of. That way they aren't in the already smallish room all of the time. I don't know if you need a stroller for your youngest, but I thought that was a minor but interesting point.
    Last edited by brittone2; 09-19-2013 at 08:11 AM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You can park by the main building, however there are not always spots available. And those spots are not always that close to where you want to be.

The truth is there can be a lot of walking at ANY WDW resort. The resorts are large and often very spread out.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    I have no idea how full the parking lots typically are, but there are parking spots over by the preferred buildings. I checked that in case there weren't, as it seemed like it would defeat some of the convenience of having a car if you have to walk too far to your car. There's also "lobby parking" on the map, but I don't know if you can use that for the food court or how full it typically is.
    http://www.portorleans.org/maps-and-directions.php

My friend IRL who posts here, kochh2 is a regular disney goer and her DH is a former CM. She has stayed at POR in the past. She mentioned to me that one other nice thing about driving is that the car provides a place to stash a stroller (or two in our case) in the trunk, which I hadn't thought of. That way they aren't in the already smallish room all of the time. I don't know if you need a stroller for your youngest, but I thought that was a minor but interesting point.
    I was trying to average out costs. Going a cheaper room and getting a car would be about a wash in costs.

I am not planning on a stroller. His favorite phrase is "can I run?". . He hasn't ridden in one in years, and will be 5.5 when we are there. If we find we need to rent one for a day or two, we will. But, I think just planning shows, food, and sitting to rest will be fine.

I was going to post that website to make sure you've found it too.

I was also thinking I could stick dirty clothes, souvenirs, etc in the trunk
    Kris

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The big advantage to the car, IMO, is you are not stuck with WDW food. You can go to a grocery store (there are several on the way in from the airport and within a 10-15 minute drive from WDW) and get real food. You can go out to a non-Disney restaurant.

Around Day 5, all of us hit the wall with "all Disney all the time" and we just want to escape. Also, if you want to take a day and go to Seaworld or Universal, that is much easier with your own car. Car rentals are super easy in Orlando because the rental locations (most of them anyway) are right at the airport, so no schlepping baggage onto rental car buses.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    The big advantage to the car, IMO, is you are not stuck with WDW food. You can go to a grocery store (there are several on the way in from the airport and within a 10-15 minute drive from WDW) and get real food. You can go out to a non-Disney restaurant.

Around Day 5, all of us hit the wall with "all Disney all the time" and we just want to escape. Also, if you want to take a day and go to Seaworld or Universal, that is much easier with your own car. Car rentals are super easy in Orlando because the rental locations (most of them anyway) are right at the airport, so no schlepping baggage onto rental car buses.
    Thanks. My brother swears by car rentals and my SIL says they aren't needed . I am leaning towards no dining plan, unless a discount changes that. Groceries would be nice to have for breakfasts regardless. I worry about eating out all the time, since we do it so rarely here. We might all be tired of it very fast. I've thought about SeaWorld, but it's a lot of money for just one day.
    Kris

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11