Thread: Daytrana Info

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Daytrana Info

DS2 just got an ADHD-Inattentive diagnosis today and the ped is prescribing the Daytrana patch along with Vayarin. Does anyone have experience with Daytrana? DH is somewhat skeptical about a patch staying put on an active sweaty 8 year old boy! Any real life feedback would be welcomed. Trying to navigate the world of ADHD is kind of overwhelming. Thanks!!
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DH used the Daytrana patch for a while about a year or so ago and we had the opposite problem, it was tough getting it off. It left red, marks on his skin from the irritation of the adhesive.

The bonus of the patch was that once you decided how long it took for the meds to wear off you could time the patch removal to have the least of the undesirable side-effects from coming down from the meds.

It can be kind of pricey, so see if you can get any coupons from the Dr or the company that makes it.

HTH
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My DH used the Daytrana patch for a while about a year or so ago and we had the opposite problem, it was tough getting it off. It left red, marks on his skin from the irritation of the adhesive.
    This is what I had read about Daytrana as well. Since my kid has issues with the adhesive in band-aids, I decided it was not a good choice for us.

I am also somewhat surprised that your doctor suggested it as a first line choice. Typically they will go with some combination of the short or long acting methylphenidate tablets/capsules. Our doc suggested it if we had trouble administering the pills or if we needed it to already be in effect before she woke (you can put on your kid while they are still asleep).

I've never heard of Vayarin.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks to both of you.

Lindsey, thankfully we have great prescription insurance!

Beth, our ped said he really likes the patch but that it only makes up like 3% of the market. I like the fact that we should be able to dose 1 time for the whole day. I am extremely sensitive to adhesive but so far none of the kids seems to be. Vayarin is a new "medical food"/supplement, basically an amino acid and fish oil combo that is only available in a few states at this time. It is manufactured in Israel and my ped is really excited about it as an option. He went and toured the facility where it is made and was impressed.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well, I think it is expensive compared to many other options. There are no generics so my insurance (for example) would make me pay almost full price for it. I think that is a pretty significant barrier to market share.

But I am curious how it works for you.

The other thing I thought of is that you are to wear it for no longer than 9 hours. Since DD takes her pill currently at 7 and then goes to after care, I would have to rely on after care to remove it, so I was a little concerned about that. And there is a 2 hour delay from application to medication being detectable in the bloodstream. So we would have to apply it while she was sleeping and I would be afraid of waking her too early!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hmmm . . . I might have a conversation with my pedi and ask directly whether he accepts meals, trips, "research funding," compensation as a paid speaker, or other compensation from these companies. Or a paid trip to Israel! I am not saying either of the two drugs/supplements you mention are bad - - I know nothing about them! But, in my mind drug & device salesperson incentives, marketed directly to physicians, are problematic and I would want to know 1) is he deviating from the typical standard of care treatment; 2) if so, what are the reasons based in evidence and studies (bearing in mind some of the studies conducted by drug companies are a joke).

My H works in medicine and you would not believe the shenanigans that go on. DH does do a few paid pharma talks per year, typically educational about the disease rather than the company's drug or device. He withdrew from one company when the company started pressuring him to prescribe their drug to his patients. As a provider he tries to limit or avoid it because he is worried it might influence his practice patterns.
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014