Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    Sorry for the threadjack, Kris. I hope it was okay to post as I figure we have some overlapping questions right now. I'll start my own thread for my other questions.
    No apologies needed! We definitely have similar questions at this point. And, we're staying at the same place. First trip, 3 kids, similar kid ages (except the last). Hijack away!
    Kris

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It is typically very crowded leaving the MK after Wishes. There is no denying that! But it should NOT take 2 hours. I think it's most nervewracking with a walking toddler. All your kids are what I would consider older, so I would not let that deter me.

I've never eaten at California Grill, but I made reservations there this time. But only for DH and I. Honestly, I don't think my kids would enjoy it very much.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I may regret having them go. I am having trouble determining the "nicer but still acceptable to bring young kids" restaurants. Selfishly, I would like to eat at some of the signatures, and have a few ADRs, but I am probably going to rethink that. Our plans are complicated by the fact that if we do s/p/d, we may have to rework some of our ADRs.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Random thoughts because I am too scattered to focus on the whole schedule right now...

I am not sure I would try a park on arrival day. I think you had a big thread about it, and I can't remember my vote at the time, but seeing how late you get in, and what a full week you have, *I* would want to take it easy on the travel day. Maybe do downtown disney (I haven't ever been) - doesn't your resort have a boat that goes there? Could be a fun but not too intense start.

I agree that my kids would not want to wait that long for MK.

Leaving after fireworks was not that bad for Epcot or MK (I think the threat of rain cleared the crowd on our MK day, though). a lot of people leaving at once, so keep a tight hold on younger ones (more for Brittone). Everyone is waiting for the buses, so that kind of stinks. We used the easywdw map with ride order recs and illuminations viewing spots and had decent spots both times.

HDDR will be over a couple hours before Chip and Dale campfire. S'mores start a bit before the singalong - I can't remember the scedule. Up by HDDR there is a small playground and I think they do wagon or carriage rides (we didn't do them, so not positive). You will have to take an internal bus to the main pool (Meadows?) for campfire/singalong. There will be maps at the bus stop - kind of confusing the first time. The routes are color coded. Once you get to meadows, the camp fire area can be hard to find. Go in the store at the bus stop and ask if you get confused. The sing along is low key, but my 7yos had fun (they love to sing and dance). (ie, I wouldn't make the journey just for the campfire, but since you are there for HDDR, then you might as well. But if you guys are tired, you aren't missing the coolest thing ever if you leave early).

Quote Originally Posted by fivi2 View Post
    Random thoughts because I am too scattered to focus on the whole schedule right now...

I am not sure I would try a park on arrival day. I think you had a big thread about it, and I can't remember my vote at the time, but seeing how late you get in, and what a full week you have, *I* would want to take it easy on the travel day. Maybe do downtown disney (I haven't ever been) - doesn't your resort have a boat that goes there? Could be a fun but not too intense start.

I agree that my kids would not want to wait that long for MK.

Leaving after fireworks was not that bad for Epcot or MK (I think the threat of rain cleared the crowd on our MK day, though). a lot of people leaving at once, so keep a tight hold on younger ones (more for Brittone). Everyone is waiting for the buses, so that kind of stinks. We used the easywdw map with ride order recs and illuminations viewing spots and had decent spots both times.

HDDR will be over a couple hours before Chip and Dale campfire. S'mores start a bit before the singalong - I can't remember the scedule. Up by HDDR there is a small playground and I think they do wagon or carriage rides (we didn't do them, so not positive). You will have to take an internal bus to the main pool (Meadows?) for campfire/singalong. There will be maps at the bus stop - kind of confusing the first time. The routes are color coded. Once you get to meadows, the camp fire area can be hard to find. Go in the store at the bus stop and ask if you get confused. The sing along is low key, but my 7yos had fun (they love to sing and dance). (ie, I wouldn't make the journey just for the campfire, but since you are there for HDDR, then you might as well. But if you guys are tired, you aren't missing the coolest thing ever if you leave early).
    My brother said they did the boat from POR to downtown Disney once and it was over an hour to get there. I'm not sure that appeals to us! I'm not sure how tired we'll be when we get there. Kids have never flown. We won't need to leave home until around 8:30, so not very early. We were considering HDDR the first night, but you reminded me that if we have flight issues, it would be problematic.

I think DD would like the sing-a-long. But, it makes for an early HDDR reservation. I'm going to think about it.

I'm going to re-think the entire plan with these new thoughts. Thanks for the input.
    Kris

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    My brother said they did the boat from POR to downtown Disney once and it was over an hour to get there. I'm not sure that appeals to us! I'm not sure how tired we'll be when we get there. Kids have never flown. We won't need to leave home until around 8:30, so not very early. We were considering HDDR the first night, but you reminded me that if we have flight issues, it would be problematic.

I think DD would like the sing-a-long. But, it makes for an early HDDR reservation. I'm going to think about it.

I'm going to re-think the entire plan with these new thoughts. Thanks for the input.
    yeah - waiting an hour for the boat would be a pain! I think you can do a park on arrival day, I just personally wouldn't make it a late night. I haven't looked at a calendar for the week, so your schedule may be what works out the best!

re the sing a long - There are benches in a big semi circle. Two campfires on either side. They sell s'mores kits. You can make s'mores (and run around catching lizards) before the sing a long. Then cowboy bob (or something like that) comes out with his guitar. (we were the "family of the day" here, so I missed a little of the beginning. We were off meeting both Chip and Dale and taking pics). He introduces Chip and Dale. Then he sings a few songs ("proud to be an American", "Zip a dee do dah" and similar). At some point Chip and Dale will circulate for pics and autographs. They split the crowd, so you will likely only meet one. Then they invited all the kids up to the front to dance with chip and dale for a song or two. After that I think it was over. They show an outdoor movie after that, which you can stay and watch (we didn't). So it is cute, but not life changing

Quote Originally Posted by fivi2 View Post
    yeah - waiting an hour for the boat would be a pain! I think you can do a park on arrival day, I just personally wouldn't make it a late night. I haven't looked at a calendar for the week, so your schedule may be what works out the best!

re the sing a long - There are benches in a big semi circle. Two campfires on either side. They sell s'mores kits. You can make s'mores (and run around catching lizards) before the sing a long. Then cowboy bob (or something like that) comes out with his guitar. (we were the "family of the day" here, so I missed a little of the beginning. We were off meeting both Chip and Dale and taking pics). He introduces Chip and Dale. Then he sings a few songs ("proud to be an American", "Zip a dee do dah" and similar). At some point Chip and Dale will circulate for pics and autographs. They split the crowd, so you will likely only meet one. Then they invited all the kids up to the front to dance with chip and dale for a song or two. After that I think it was over. They show an outdoor movie after that, which you can stay and watch (we didn't). So it is cute, but not life changing
    Hmm. Maybe we'll skip it after all. We can do the campfire and movie at POR if we wanted to.
    Kris

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have taken the boats to DD from POFQ numerous times and have never waited more than about ten minutes. Your brother must have unfortunately had a bad experience. But don't rule it out yet, it is a very nice ride and it really is pretty fast!

We always visit MK the first day we arrive. We basically eat, enjoy a few rides, and catch the fireworks. We run off of adrenaline and excitement the first day. My kids don't go to bed until 8pm, which is 9pm Disney time, so that helps, too. They are also early risers, so I am typically the one dragging, but we try and make the best of their early wake-ups to get to the parks early.

Do you think if we did MK on the first night, so our arrival day, it would be enough to then push the full day back a couple days? I'm assuming we'll have FP+, so could do a couple rides and Wishes that night.

For those who have kids who would go nuts not going to MK first...what about on the first trip ever? I'm just thinking my kids have no real idea of what park is what, having not been there. I don't know if they know they will be most excited to do MK or if just any park with characters, rides, parades, etc is exciting.

The kids do understand the importance of doing things in an order in the morning, too. Even a very small park, like Storyland in NH, it makes a difference. We always get there about 15 min. before we can get in and we have our tickets. We head to the Antique Cars because the line gets long and moves slowly. This year, we were in the first 3 cars that went and when we got back to the station, the line was at the 20 min point already! So, explaining the logic at WDW will work for them too.
    Kris

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Personally, especially for the first trip, I think you should go to MK on the first day. MK pretty much IS Disney. To see Cinderella's castle and Main Street....it is pretty magical. My kids were 4 and 7 on the first trip and the look on their faces at MK was amazing.

We won't be landing until almost 1pm. Then add in transportation and check-in and a tiny breather, we probably won't be in MK until 4pm. Like last time, we will just hit a quick service place for dinner, get on a few rides, and then watch the parade and fireworks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast