Default Washington DC with kids?

We will be in Washington DC mid-October for a long weekend. The last time I was in DC was about 13 years ago when I was single and childless. All I remember is loving the Metro, the Smithsonian Museums, and the nightlife/restaurants. Fast forward to life with 2 children, 7 and 3 years old, and haven't got a clue as to places to see, things to do, where to eat? We will be staying near the National Zoo, and I'll be in meetings from 8 am-12 pm Thu-Sat, leaving late Sunday afternoon. Afternoons and evenings are mostly free.

What is the weather like at that time of year? DH and I grew up in the Midwest so are used to Fall weather, but DC's are West coast warm weather coastal kids. What kind of activities do you all suggest? As far as activities, DS (3) likes to be outdoors while DD(7) likes history, museums, and shopping. Any great family dining spots? Thanks for your help!

mom to one girl, 9.5 years old
    and one boy, 5 years old

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Are you staying somewhere convenient to the Metro? The Metro is convenient and always the highlight of my kids' trip.

Places I'd consider;
    Zoo- you're there, it's free, it's pretty good. Don't feel like you have to see it all though. It's free and I wouldn't take more than 2 hours unless your kids love zoos.
    If you have a car, go to Air and Space by Dulles vs the Mall, IMO.
    I like Georgetown for shopping for me. There's a cafe with a French name that I always like but I forget the name.
    Our favorite museums on the Mall are American Indian, Building Museum (a few blocks off the Mall), Natural History or American History.
    Walk around the monuments.

Eating? Just use your Urban spoon app's nearby feature . I pick placed ranked over 88%. But, on the Mall, the best museums for eating, IMO, are Art and American Indian. Fry bread as an afternoon snack at American Indian is always a hit.

Weather? It could be anything. South in October is usually still warm. Layers.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Keep an eye on the shut down. If it happens, the museums will all be closed.

The weather has been very pleasant lately. Cool in the mornings (50s) with highs in the low 70s. But in could be 50 or 80 for a high on any given day in October!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Thanks for both of your replies. I figured going on the Metro and strolling around the mall would definitely be on our agenda.
    We may try the zoo, since it is nearby, but we'll see how it goes as far as time spent there.
    Thanks for the heads-up about the possibility of a government shutdown. So far so good. Will keep my fingers crossed.
    We'll all dress in layers for the trip. Always a good thing!

mom to one girl, 9.5 years old
    and one boy, 5 years old

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We took our 3 year old to a free showing of a Sesame Street planetarium show about stars a couple weekends ago at the Air and Space museum. It was awesome and DS really enjoyed it - he'd never been to a planetarium before. Not sure if that will fit in with your schedule, but it was fun Afterwards, we ate lunch from food trucks on the mall. Great day.

Otherwise, DS loves riding the metro around, going to the zoo, paddle boating on the tidal basin (around Maine Ave). I've heard good things about the National Children's Museum in Oxon Hill, MD but we haven't been yet.

I definitely recommend going to Shake Shack and Ben's Chili Bowl Have a great trip!
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

The National building museum is AWESOME, a must see. DD1 also loves the Natural History museum. I would not go to the National Children's Museum with a 7 yo, it is more of a playseum. The zoo is great.

October is usually fabulous weather wise. Cool buy not cold. A light jacket for the mornings usually.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Of course now with the government shut-down, many of the DC attractions are closed.

But here is a list of things to do in DC with kids, if Congress can't get its act together in the next couple of weeks...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...zoo-is-closed/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-d-c-vacation/

Anyone know if my 3 year old needs a car seat in taxi cabs?
    I'm following this thread because we will be going to dc fairly soon too.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elizamom View Post
    Anyone know if my 3 year old needs a car seat in taxi cabs?
    I'm following this thread because we will be going to dc fairly soon too.
    We didn't.

The taxis will let you forgo one and hold your child in your lap but it is still the law.

Sent from my SGH-T989
    DD#1 11/23/05
    DD#2 12/9/10
    DD#3 9/4/13