theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default great luxury family resort, short flight from the west coast?

I'm starting to think about a winter vacation for our family (2 preschoolers). While I would love to go to Beaches T&C it's such a long flight from the west coast. Are there any similar resorts closer to California? I would probably go to Cabo, but no where else in Mexico. Hawaii is awesome, but the weather in the winter can be iffy and it's a really long flight.

Has anyone been anywhere in Costa Rica or Belize with young kids? I would love an awesome resort with great pools for the kids.
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Gosh I was going to suggest the La Costa Resort and Spa in San Diego. That is really popular for a winter break trip for people who live in my area (which is about 90 minutes north). It is not unusual for it to be 75 at Christmas in San Diego.

I don't see how Costa Rica or Belize would be any shorter than going to Maui, which is just over 6 hrs. from LAX, but I guess it is all relative as to which part of the west coast you are coming from.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I don't see how Costa Rica or Belize would be any shorter than going to Maui, which is just over 6 hrs. from LAX, but I guess it is all relative as to which part of the west coast you are coming from.
    You know, I didn't think about that. I looked at flights and it's just as far. I don't know why but in my head it should be closer.

I want something tropical and out of the country or the mainland. La Costa does look amazing though, I definitely want to check it out!
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

How is weather in HI iffy? I've never been, I really thought it was the same year 'round. I know Elektra goes to HI quite a bit, she can probably help with resorts. I loved Costa Rica. I went with a friend pre-kids. We stayed at a place where you basically slept in tree houses. It was very kid friendly. The proprietors were American ex-pats. Let me see if I can find the place. It was gorgeous, but a long car ride from San Juan. I think there's another airport that's closer.

ETA: I can't figure out which one I stayed at, it was 10 years ago. It was on the Osa Peninsula. It was just gorgeous. Just looking at the resorts on Trip Advisor, they look similar. lots of tree house accommodations.
    Last edited by TwinFoxes; 10-02-2013 at 08:50 PM.

I've been to Hawaii in January and February. The Weather is nice but i remember it being very windy and we had a couple of rainy days. Of course, it's still Hawaii to it is amazing! I think I'm just being picky vs sue what I really want to do is a Carribean vacation but it's too far from here. I know, cry me a river
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We went to Cabo last year in August for DH's cousin's vow renewal. We stayed at a lovely resort called Cabo Azul. From time to time it is available on Luxury link/Family Getaway for a good price. The nice thing about Cabo Azul is that it isn't right in the crazy party scene of Cabo. The rooms are all suites with full kitchens.. there is a Costco and a supermarket near by and their little shop also carries some grocery items. The beach is not a swimming beach though. All of the restaurants and food options were delicious. Pools were nice .... and HUGE! http://www.caboazulresort.com/

I have also heard good things about the Dreams resort in Cabo. Their kids program is for children 3 and up. http://dreamsresorts.com/los-cabos

Cabo is a pretty short plane ride away from southern California.