Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Cabo with the kids - which resort?

Okay, so I think we've decided on Cabo for a Feb vacation (probably the week of President's day). I've seen Cabo Azul mentioned on here as well as Casa Dorada. Can you share your experiences if you have stayed there? Is there anywhere else we should consider?

We would like some place where the kids can have fun, so there needs to be a kids pool. We don't need babysitting or a kids club but it would be nice if it was a kid friendly resort. DH and I want something high end, somewhat luxurious.

Upside to Cabo Azul is that they have kitchens. Downside is that the beach is not swimmable. My kids mostly like the pool so that should be fine.

anyways, would love to hear your thoughts!
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have only stayed at Cabo Azul so I will say that the resort is beautiful. The people are friendly and wonderful. The restaurant/swim up bar under the palapa has awesome specials for lunch, the tacos a few days a week they serve are delicious and they keep the chips and salsa coming! They also have a "kids menu" chicken nuggets/burgers/fish sticks etc. which makes it easy with kids. The little café attached to the store has yummy breakfast items (breakfast burritos and waffles and pastries etc.) and they also have gelato! They do a daily special for meals ... pizza etc. where you can pick up a whole large pizza with drinks etc to take back to your room if you want... or you can eat in there. This is also where they have computers that you can use to check e-mails etc while you sip your morning coffee! The beach is not swimmable but we did get our toes in the surf ... and collected some shells and built some sand castles. A guy walking down the beach had caught a little crab in a plastic cup and let our kids have him. We checked him out and then set him free ... it was a highlight for DS2! There are people who offer horseback riding on the beach if you like. My kids are more into a pool than the beach so this resort was perfect for us.

If you want a really really nice stay you can look at the One and Only Palmilla. It is supposedly the best there is in Cabo! http://palmilla.oneandonlyresorts.com/ from the website it sounds like their kids program is great ... they start with 4 yr olds but younger kids can come with a parent. They also offer baby sitting/Nanny service in case you and DH wanted to have a little time to yourselves or dinner out one night. From their site : Two infinity-edge pools have concierge services, and one pool is dedicated to families. The Agua Pool, a tropical oasis with waterfall and a meandering river, also features a dedicated children's pool making it ideal for families.

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Any opinions on the Villa Del Palmar? They have a timeshare special for $399 for the week with all inclusive. The tripadvisor reviews are not bad. I am tempted.
    mom to Billy 12/07

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Grand Solmar is supposedly gorgeous, but not on a swimmable beach. Close to town and walkable to restaurants. Capella Pedregal is 5 star, I think.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We usually stay at casa dorada - they have a baby pool we never use, the regular pool is kid friendly for a 9 year old, they have a kids club, activities (ds1 painted a toucan) and are generally very polite to kids. The suites have kitchens (no oven) and the restaurant is decent.

We are staying at dreams in February which sounds less kid friendly but will update
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    I have only stayed at Cabo Azul so I will say that the resort is beautiful. The people are friendly and wonderful. The restaurant/swim up bar under the palapa has awesome specials for lunch, the tacos a few days a week they serve are delicious and they keep the chips and salsa coming! They also have a "kids menu" chicken nuggets/burgers/fish sticks etc. which makes it easy with kids. The little café attached to the store has yummy breakfast items (breakfast burritos and waffles and pastries etc.) and they also have gelato! They do a daily special for meals ... pizza etc. where you can pick up a whole large pizza with drinks etc to take back to your room if you want... or you can eat in there. This is also where they have computers that you can use to check e-mails etc while you sip your morning coffee! The beach is not swimmable but we did get our toes in the surf ... and collected some shells and built some sand castles. A guy walking down the beach had caught a little crab in a plastic cup and let our kids have him. We checked him out and then set him free ... it was a highlight for DS2! There are people who offer horseback riding on the beach if you like. My kids are more into a pool than the beach so this resort was perfect for us.

If you want a really really nice stay you can look at the One and Only Palmilla. It is supposedly the best there is in Cabo! http://palmilla.oneandonlyresorts.com/ from the website it sounds like their kids program is great ... they start with 4 yr olds but younger kids can come with a parent. They also offer baby sitting/Nanny service in case you and DH wanted to have a little time to yourselves or dinner out one night. From their site : Two infinity-edge pools have concierge services, and one pool is dedicated to families. The Agua Pool, a tropical oasis with waterfall and a meandering river, also features a dedicated children's pool making it ideal for families.
    Cabo Azul is in our top pick right now. Thanks for the detailed review, my husband loves a hotel with a lazy river O&O looks fantastic but given the price, I would be worried that other guests would be irritated with our kids.

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy View Post
    Grand Solmar is supposedly gorgeous, but not on a swimmable beach. Close to town and walkable to restaurants. Capella Pedregal is 5 star, I think.
    We've stayed at Capella Pedregal and it was amazing. The service was fantastic. However, since it's on the Pacific, the breezes were cold and this was in mid May.

Quote Originally Posted by sntm View Post
    We usually stay at casa dorada - they have a baby pool we never use, the regular pool is kid friendly for a 9 year old, they have a kids club, activities (ds1 painted a toucan) and are generally very polite to kids. The suites have kitchens (no oven) and the restaurant is decent.

We are staying at dreams in February which sounds less kid friendly but will update
    Casa Dorada sounds interesting, mainly for the beach. We will also be there in February. Can I ask how you settled on Dreams?
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

Bumping this up as I cannot make a decision. Tondi G, were there a lot of kids at Cabo Azul? The website seems very geared to adults/romantic getaways. Also, is there a shallow kiddie pool?

Thank you!
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by theriviera View Post
    Bumping this up as I cannot make a decision. Tondi G, were there a lot of kids at Cabo Azul? The website seems very geared to adults/romantic getaways. Also, is there a shallow kiddie pool?

Thank you!
    We were there with DH's cousin and family. In our group we had 7 kids. There were a handful of other kids running around the resort. I wouldn't say it is "geared" towards kids but it is family friendly and all of the staff were really sweet with our kids. There isn't a "kiddie" pool but the pools are not that deep ... it is like 3 large pools cascading down ... the middle pool has a shallow zone in the middle of the pool. It's kind of hard to explain but like a large platform with a big boulder on it maybe 18" to 2ft deep there. You would need to be in the pool with a little one for sure.

I thought of another hotel that might work for you guys. Villa La Estancia. I believe it is on a swimmable beach as well!
    http://www.villagroupresorts.com/res...-estancia-cabo

Check out the pic on this page ... very kid friendly pool! http://cabolaestancia.com/kids-activities.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    We were there with DH's cousin and family. In our group we had 7 kids. There were a handful of other kids running around the resort. I wouldn't say it is "geared" towards kids but it is family friendly and all of the staff were really sweet with our kids. There isn't a "kiddie" pool but the pools are not that deep ... it is like 3 large pools cascading down ... the middle pool has a shallow zone in the middle of the pool. It's kind of hard to explain but like a large platform with a big boulder on it maybe 18" to 2ft deep there. You would need to be in the pool with a little one for sure.

I thought of another hotel that might work for you guys. Villa La Estancia. I believe it is on a swimmable beach as well!
    http://www.villagroupresorts.com/res...-estancia-cabo

Check out the pic on this page ... very kid friendly pool! http://cabolaestancia.com/kids-activities.html
    That resort looks great! Thank you for sharing those links. Off to research. I don't know why I'm being so wishy washy
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you want to be in town and walkable to the restaurants? If so, I would stick with the Grand Solmar/Playa Grande or Medano Beach area (Villa Estancia, Casa Dorada). We have our first trip to Cabo coming up, and we are eager to try some restaurants - El Farallon, Hacienda Cocina Y Cantina, Maria Jiminez Restaurante, etc.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast