Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thank you all!

The family we would be visiting apparently lives five minutes from the airport--or so dh says. Will have to hunt up their address and check as dh's family is sometimes rather off in such descriptions.

I found an Embassy Suites and we have liked those when we have stayed at them. So that's a possibility.

Still possible we will stay with family, just not sure how much space they have and other family members are visiting at that time as well and I'm not sure where they are staying. I am leaving that up to dh as it is his family. But if we are staying in a hotel, I'll be the one to choose.

Catherine

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We drove out to Tombstone and DS1 loved it. Worth a drive
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

Zansu is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The Embassy Suites on Broadway is one of the originals, so there's an open central courtyard. Last time I was there, rooms weren't updated, but I've never heard any complaints about cleanliness. My former employer housed visiting Japanese business partners there, so obviously not too funky.

It's close to a Target, several chain restaurants and a few good local places.

Thank you, thank you! Looks like dh's family will be able to put us up, but good to have some options ready to go if things change. We will have three days to do touristy things so I will be looking at all the wonderful suggestions and seeing what dh and ds prefer. Definitely going to have a few things planned as breaks from too much family time and for fun!

Next step, rental car.

Catherine

Zansu is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Forgot to mention the Mini Time Machine Museum http://www.theminitimemachine.org/

Thank you!

Catherine

UPDATE

Thank you all so much! We ended up staying on base in nice temporary quarters thanks to my BIL.

But the recommendations for things to do were so helpful!

We loved the Sonoran Desert Museum and would recommend it to anyone. All four of us enjoyed it and we would go again. We were there for the raptor show which was awesome. Go prepared to walk a lot in the sun. There was sunblock in a dispenser in the women's restroom by the way, which I thought was very cool. There is a snack bar and a restaurant. We did not go in the restaurant. The snack bar has drinks and pastries and chips. We were there for three hours and did not see everything. It is about 30-40 minutes out of town.

We also went to Old Tucson Studios. I would recommend it for kids or people who are into western movies. The kids enjoyed the train, cars they could steer and gold panning ($2 charge and the "gold" is fools gold). The one show we saw was hokey and the kids did not enjoy it at all--we actually left it part way through. The food was mediocre and over priced. The staff was friendly and helpful. We stayed about three hours and that was plenty. It is also about 30-40 minutes out of town and in the same direction as the desert museum.

Thanks again!
    Catherine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2