Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Rancid body oil smell in clothes/sheets

I have noticed that our older clothes/sheets come out of the wash smelling great and fresh but after only a few days in the linen closet, they develop a pretty strong smell that I can best describe as "rancid oil". It's nothing like BO. It's just a not-fresh smell. I am sure it's probably accumulated body oils (and so that's why only limited to older items). Is there a way to strip the oils out? I'm also guessing that Asian skin (lots of oil production in face and scalp) contributes to this...it reminds me of the way my relatives' closets/drawers smell (because they do not wash clothes as frequently). Anyone else have this issue? It's grossing me out. And, super TMI...but I get the same accumulations in my bras, right around the nipples (GROSS). It's that waxy oil that is produced there. YUCK!!

Looking for ideas other than Dawn. Dawn if very hard to use as a stripping agent in front-load machines! Oxyclean works only marginally well (hot water overnight soak). I'm thinking something like household ammonia, borax...? Any BTDT that would work in a front-load machine? Laundry should come out smelling fresh and staying fresh!

Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Vinegar! I swear by it. I use it in the fabric softener dispenser of our front loader. You can do an extra rinse if you'd like, but I often don't. The vinegar smell disappears as the clothes dry..

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What kind of detergent are you using? Is your water hard or soft?

You might consider a few washes with a cloth diaper detergent like rockin green. It gets out some pretty tough stuff on cloth diapers. I used it a few times on regular clothes and it seemed to work well. There are different varieties based on your water type.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005DL7LGM

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

RLR is the best stripping agent for frontloaders. Also, I'd use powder Tide HE, at least for these stripping cycles, and make to use the absolute longest cycles you can - choose heavy solid, prewash, extra rinse etc, hot water and not fill it more than 3/4 full with the sheets.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I found that using powder detergent helps too. I will try to find the post where I got laundry suggestions too. I had a different issue ( more of a mildewy smell) but the powder detergent helped.

ETA- bleach is what finally did the trick for me! And I had ammonia on deck.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...ghlight=Towels
    Last edited by elektra; 10-06-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    DD
    DS

How do you do the vinegar thing? What kind of vinegar and how much? Use it with soap or alone? My old sheets have the exact same problem!

Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just use distilled white vinegar in place of fabric softener. I also use it whenever I bleach anything to get the bleach smell out. I use 1/2 cup for a full load, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    RLR is the best stripping agent for frontloaders. Also, I'd use powder Tide HE, at least for these stripping cycles, and make to use the absolute longest cycles you can - choose heavy solid, prewash, extra rinse etc, hot water and not fill it more than 3/4 full with the sheets.
    Huh, this is interesting - never heard of it but the reviews are amazing. Have you used it in a frontloader? I'm a little worried about some of the reviews saying it takes like 10 rinses to get all the suds out...that could mean it would take hours for a single load.

We are regular Country Save users.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Huh, this is interesting - never heard of it but the reviews are amazing. Have you used it in a frontloader? I'm a little worried about some of the reviews saying it takes like 10 rinses to get all the suds out...that could mean it would take hours for a single load.

We are regular Country Save users.
    i've used RLR before for stripping cloth diapers. ours isn't a front-loader, but it is a HE and in all other ways is just like a front-loader. I don't recall needing 10 rinses to get suds out. we use country save too.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    i've used RLR before for stripping cloth diapers. ours isn't a front-loader, but it is a HE and in all other ways is just like a front-loader. I don't recall needing 10 rinses to get suds out. we use country save too.
    So did it work well to strip the diapers?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast