Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    So did it work well to strip the diapers?
    i think so. and from what i read if you get a ton of suds from using RLR it is because of all the build-up, not the RLR itself which does not produce suds. so the number of rinses needed would depend on how much buildup is in the clothing/diapers or whatnot.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Rancid body oil smell in clothes/sheets

Yes, I've used it in my front loader on my cloth diapers repeatedly. It is the buildup that makes the suds-the first time I used it was crazy but much less on subsequent times (I only use it once or twice a year once i got my routine perfected) Also be sure to strip/clean the washer itself before you start with this, so that you're not getting washer crud off instead of the sheets.

Oh, and I do full hot washes for rinsing, works much faster than cold rinses.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Yes, I've used it in my front loader on my cloth diapers repeatedly. It is the buildup that makes the suds-the first time I used it was crazy but much less on subsequent times (I only use it once or twice a year once i got my routine perfected) Also be sure to strip/clean the washer itself before you start with this, so that you're not getting washer crud off instead of the sheets.

Oh, and I do full hot washes for rinsing, works much faster than cold rinses.
    Thanks, this makes sense. What do you use the strip/clean the washer? Or do you just run a hot cycle with RLR only (no clothes/sheets) for the "washer strip" and then run the load with the sheets + RLR?

The full hot wash cycle for rinses makes sense - I do that already when I wash sheets with Oxyclean.

I use a mix of a big scoop each of oxyclean, borax and washing soda (which is great to have around anyway as a detergent booster) and run the self clean cycle. Basically the same ingredients and afresh or tide washing machine cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    I use a mix of a big scoop each of oxyclean, borax and washing soda (which is great to have around anyway as a detergent booster) and run the self clean cycle. Basically the same ingredients and afresh or tide washing machine cleaner.
    while using affresh helps, it was quite costly. We ended up getting rid of build up and smell by using powder detergent -- specifically Tide HE.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
    while using affresh helps, it was quite costly. We ended up getting rid of build up and smell by using powder detergent -- specifically Tide HE.
    So I'm thinking the Country Save use for 5 years now might be the problem. At MIL's house we laundered in Tide original (top-load machine). It got out a LOT of the build-up in my bras!!!! Crazy!!! I wonder if Tide HE is as good as Tide original because we have a frontloader. I've also heard of people using Tide original (powder) in a frontloader, just a couple of tablespoons. I might have to get a box of Tide to keep on hand and use it every so often to help with build-up. I also realized that there's a whole cloth diaper movement towards using Tide original (powder)! Interesting stuff!! I just wish the Tide original was unscented! I like the scent, but find it too strong.

Quote Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
    Exactly, that's why I make my own! The washing soda (aka sodium cabonate $3 at grocery store for good sized box) is great for softening hard water. It's the first ingredient in powdered detergent and a good part of the reason it works so much better. I use biokleen powder for regular clothes but tide powder HE for everything really gross like rags and diapers and super stained stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2