Default Skiing Jay Peak Vermont

We're thinking of planning a ski trip to Jay Peak in Vermont this winter. We have skiers and non skiers and their water park is a big draw. Anyone visited and have any advice before I book a trip? We were thinking of renting a condo rather then staying at the hotel as it is less expensive with the benefit of being ski -in/out. Would love to hear also about the skiing for younger kids. TIA

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I live in VT and have been to the water park. its alot of fun! I dont ski though so I cant really comment on that. I dont know that I could handle too many days of the water park though, as an adult. Kids LOVE it though. My kids could go for 3+ days easily. I guess if you are mixing the water park and skiiing, that would be ideal.

I did stay at one of the condos there as well. It was very nice. The one we stayed in was in the Clubhouse Suites. There are only like 4 suites in there I think.

I do know people who have skied at Jay Peak and they seem to love it. Its almost in Canada though so be prepared for lots of French-speaking Canadians.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My cousin went last year for a hockey tournament there, they drove from Canada (Ottawa)....not the dreaded French Speaking Canadians...just kidding,....anyway, if you rent a condo, you will need to bring a lot of food as there isn't much around there locally to buy groceries etc. Jay is kind of isolated. Skiing is great there, I once skiied in late April while attending grad school in Burlington at UVM. SKiing is fun there, lots of beginner and intermediate runs, usually lots of snow, it seems Jay Peak attracts lots of snow!!!

So bring your own groceries from home (and if you are from Canada you will find that the as(*&ole immigration agents will confiscate all food not made in the USA as my cousin found out....)...I know OP is from Boston but I couldn't help inserting that little tidbit of info.

P.S. In the past French Canadians were known for sporting itty bitty Speedo's, ask anyone who frequents Fort Lauderdale....

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    My cousin went last year for a hockey tournament there, they drove from Canada (Ottawa)....not the dreaded French Speaking Canadians...just kidding,....anyway, if you rent a condo, you will need to bring a lot of food as there isn't much around there locally to buy groceries etc. Jay is kind of isolated. Skiing is great there, I once skiied in late April while attending grad school in Burlington at UVM. SKiing is fun there, lots of beginner and intermediate runs, usually lots of snow, it seems Jay Peak attracts lots of snow!!!

So bring your own groceries from home (and if you are from Canada you will find that the as(*&ole immigration agents will confiscate all food not made in the USA as my cousin found out....)...I know OP is from Boston but I couldn't help inserting that little tidbit of info.

P.S. In the past French Canadians were known for sporting itty bitty Speedo's, ask anyone who frequents Fort Lauderdale....
    I wanted to add that there are some small grocery stores near Jay, but selection is very limited. I imagine there is a decent grocery store in St. Albans though? I am from the Burlington area so not 100% sure. There are definitely places to stop for groceries where you wouldnt have to bring everything from home though, but packing them would help if you dont want to have to stop on the way.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008