Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Help, help, Hawaii trip!

I am hoping to book our tickets/rooms this week because I just can't think about this any more and I'm driving myself nuts!

OK, we are planning a February Hawaii trip with the kids, who will be 10 and 4 years old. Which island? Which hotel?

We live in SoCal about a mile from the beach so we are used to beach-going. We want this trip to be different than our normal beach-going and FUN for the kids. But, also beautiful and fun for us.

We will be using Marriott or Hyatt points for our vacation so need to choose one of those.

I was originally thinking Kauai but a bunch of people suggested Maui over Kauai for kids. Thoughts?

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We've been to Kauai, the Big Island, Maui and (briefly) Oahu.

Kauai was our favorite, followed by the Big Island. I don't envision us returning to Maui.

To me, Maui felt far too commercial. We went because we felt that it would be more kid friendly, but regretted the decision.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We went to Maui pre kids and we loved it. DH and I both thought it reminded us a bit of North County San Diego, but it was still different enough to feel different and we would love to go back. I really think it all depends on what you want to do on your trip. We stayed in Wailea and never went north of Lahaina, which we thought was too touristy. I think Kaanapali was more touristy than Kihei and Lahaina. If you want to relax around a pool I would chose the resort with the best pool area and if be one that includes a breakfast buffet. We went in February as well, but that was 10 yrs. ago so take my advice with a grain of salt.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I loved Maui because there is everything to do, beaches, mountains, volcanoes, history. Honestly, with kids, a little touristy is OK because it lso means more convenient and kids will not be bored. I've been to the big island as well but Maui wins by a loooong shot
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Since you have Hyatt points, I would do Kauai. The Grand Hyatt there is amazing.
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

Quote Originally Posted by theriviera View Post
    Since you have Hyatt points, I would do Kauai. The Grand Hyatt there is amazing.
    I just checked and we don't have enough Hyatt points for the entire week but plenty of Marriott points. Not sure I want to switch hotels mid-week with two kiddos and all of their paraphernalia! Hmmm, that Grand Hyatt does look AMAZING! If we book now and have enough points in February, can we use the points or do we have to have the points now? Cause DH could stay Hyatt every time he travels between now and then...

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    We went to Maui pre kids and we loved it. DH and I both thought it reminded us a bit of North County San Diego, but it was still different enough to feel different and we would love to go back. I really think it all depends on what you want to do on your trip. We stayed in Wailea and never went north of Lahaina, which we thought was too touristy. I think Kaanapali was more touristy than Kihei and Lahaina. If you want to relax around a pool I would chose the resort with the best pool area and if be one that includes a breakfast buffet. We went in February as well, but that was 10 yrs. ago so take my advice with a grain of salt.
    Awww, yes, love North County!

Marriott has hotels in Wailea and Kaanapali (I think). Do you think one is a more kid-friendly area than the other?

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    I loved Maui because there is everything to do, beaches, mountains, volcanoes, history. Honestly, with kids, a little touristy is OK because it lso means more convenient and kids will not be bored. I've been to the big island as well but Maui wins by a loooong shot
    I love Maui for the reasons listed above, but Kauai looks amazing too. Such a fun decision to make , good luck!

KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I love Maui. The Wailea area is beautiful and I like that it was close to Lahaina which is a fun area to walk around.
    DD 9/10
    DS 8/12

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crayonblue View Post
    I just checked and we don't have enough Hyatt points for the entire week but plenty of Marriott points. Not sure I want to switch hotels mid-week with two kiddos and all of their paraphernalia! Hmmm, that Grand Hyatt does look AMAZING! If we book now and have enough points in February, can we use the points or do we have to have the points now? Cause DH could stay Hyatt every time he travels between now and then...
    I'm not sure but it's worth a call!
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast