View Poll Results: What age could your DC wipe on his/her own?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • age 3 or earlier

7 16.67%
  • age 4

17 40.48%
  • age 5

14 33.33%
  • age 6 or older

6 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    Peeing was right away. Pooping was gradual but btwn 4 and 6 I'd say. By 5 kids were wiping themselves but not always 100% clean so we'd check. By 6 or a little before they were 100%
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Stachio was completely PT'ed by about 3.5 (day/night pee/poop). Just after his 4th birthday we pushed to have him at least *try* to wipe himself because he started 4K in Sept (2 mo after his 4th birthday). Then we'd just check/inspect. This was working well...but lately we've slipped back a little and DH and I are wiping 100% of the time if he poops. We need to get back to having him try.

For pee, he's 100% there, and even did a public bathroom on his own (while I changed Peanut) on Saturday. He even remembers to wash his hands 99% of the time.

He does have some trouble with snapped pants, which is why he wears elastic band pants to school. He'll be 4.5 in Jan.
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

DD was "able" to clean herself at 3...I am neurotic about my kids bums being tidy..so at 6 both of them yelled or still do "Mommy I'm donnnnnnnnnnne!" Usually when I'm eating too

DD1 was 6/7 ish when she stopped asking and did a really good job and DD2 is 6 and sometimes clean herself but I can smell er tell when she does! So I don't mind cleaning her.

I use wet wipes too not just tp.
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wiped DS1 for poops up until he turned 5 and then told him he was old enough and got him wet wipes and he did it from then on.

I still wipe DS2 (4.5 yrs old) for poops every time and have told him that I will till he's 5 as well. Today was his first time he finally wanted to try wiping on his own and did an ok job (with a wet wipe) but I still had to wipe after.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

I wiped DD forever. She's still want me to wipe her if I allowed it. DS is 4 and it totally independent. He started wiping himself right around the time he turned 4 (Juky) on his own initiative. He never even tells me he poops, and the only was I know is that he often forgets to flush. "Fortunately" his poop is hard so I rarely see a skid mark (or maybe he's a good wiper.)
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wasn't wiping for anyone past 4, for sure. I know ds2 always wanted us to check though for a lot longer. I told him that he needed to master it independently in time for kindergarten. That worked. I think ds1was totally independent much earlier (though he was almost 4 when he potty trained). On the bright side of being old was that when he was ready he was perfect- day and night trained from day 1, no accidents...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4