View Poll Results: What age could your DC wipe on his/her own?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • age 3 or earlier

7 16.67%
  • age 4

17 40.48%
  • age 5

14 33.33%
  • age 6 or older

6 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default S/O what age was your DC independent in bathroom (including wiping)?

just wondering. not talking about public restrooms or anything, am talking about at home and maybe playdates. at what age could your DC just handle the potty business 100% on his/her own?

ds was a late pt'er..probably like 3y 3months before he was poop and pee trained. Now at 3y9mo he goes pee completely independently (he leaves the room, goes potty, pulls his underwear back on etc). Even when he uses his bjorn potty in his room, he will take the insert out, go to the toilet, dump it, and then put it back, without us asking. However for poop (which he does at home 99% of the time) he asks dh or I to wipe him. I thought it was normal since he's only been PT'ed for less than 6mo, and i've dealt with worse (i still cloth diaper dd on weekends and that's 100x nastier to deal with) but then after reading some other threads, and thinking about it more, it would be nice for him to be totally independent. esp with dh gone often a lot of times i'm in the middle of prepping dinner or something and ds is shouting for me to wipe him and i have to stop what i'm doing.

fwiw, my Ds never poops at school, i guess out of a privacy/comfort thing (they don't have closed stalls). so he always does it at home. he loves privacy for going potty so we have at least that going. i have no idea him how to teach him to do it though.

DD1 is a little younger than your DS, she is probably 98% independent in the bathroom. She goes pee 100% by herself. She will go poop 100% by herself, but she isn't the best wiper in the world. So if she wipes herself, she usually ends up with skidmarks. I usually wipe her if I am around. At school she wipes herself. I wouldn't expect high quality wiping skills until 5 or 6.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Honestly, my DS is almost 5, and I don't LET him wipe poops! I was pretty surprised by the other thread, too. Wiping him isn't icky to me, but the idea of his trying to do it himself and getting the poop everywhere IS!!! I know I have to let go and let him do this himself, but it just hasn't been at the top of the independence agenda. He does most other things himself-- bathing, teeth brushing, dressing, etc. He's very independent. I'm the one who won't let him wipe himself.

DS potty trained and also started wiping on his own at about 3.5-4. He is pretty good about it. Most of the time he poops just before his bath. I never asked him to wipe, one day he did and from then on he's never waited for me.
    DS1 - 08
    DS2 - 11

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

W/ DD1 it was probably ~4.5yo that she didn't need any assistance with wiping poop. With DD2, she'll turn 4 in Dec and she's been independent (and consistently good at it) since like just before her 3rd birthday.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Peeing was right away. Pooping was gradual but btwn 4 and 6 I'd say. By 5 kids were wiping themselves but not always 100% clean so we'd check. By 6 or a little before they were 100%
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

ZeeBaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Both girls wipe themselves for per and poop. Sometimes not 100% clean all the time.
    DD1 6/08
    DD2 10/09

Still waiting...

(although they've always done pee).
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Default S/O what age was your DC independent in bathroom (including wiping)?

Everyone I know IRL who have ever discussed it, and I mean everyone, has been wiping their kids until 5 or 6, even very together girls. Didn't read the other thread but this is from real life experience and preschool teacher and peds discussing too (good friend is a ped).

ETA sounds like this board is gifted in more ways than academics!
    Last edited by HannaAddict; 10-07-2013 at 05:20 PM.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Older DD PTd at almost 3 and was self sufficient from day 1. Nt that she didn't occasionally need help in some situations, but for every day she was fine. Younger DD was a reluctant PTer at almost 4. And she was also self sufficient from day 1. Well considering it took significantly longer to PT her, that was about day 1000 of potty training. and in all honestly, I never really offered to wipe after they showed they could do a decent job.

Our preschool/full day child care did not wipe PT'd kids.

My ped never asked me about wiping, only if the kid was PT'd yet.

Most 5 and 6 year olds are in K and 1st. No way are they wiping there!
    Last edited by egoldber; 10-07-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast