ma912 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default What do I need for baby #2?

Baby #2 is on the way! This one is a boy, my first is a girl born in 2011. I have most big things (stroller, carrier, swing, bouncer, pack n' play, etc), but I'm curious if anything new and amazing has come out since 2011. Big or little things... what do I need (or want...) for baby #2?

Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ma912 View Post
    Baby #2 is on the way! This one is a boy, my first is a girl born in 2011. I have most big things (stroller, carrier, swing, bouncer, pack n' play, etc), but I'm curious if anything new and amazing has come out since 2011. Big or little things... what do I need (or want...) for baby #2?
    I can't think of anything new necessarily but some things like strollers might have more or newer features. Are you planning on a double stroller?

Congratulations! Do you have a Rock N' Play Sleeper? I had one for DD2 and it was a life saver. Also, a good baby carrier is helpful. I loved having a Moby with DD2 so my hands were free to handle DD1. What I did for DD2, since I didn't have to buy very much, I buy her very nice things. So most of our crib sheets were in good condition, but I did buy DD2 of the super soft PBK chamois sheets. And with clothes, since I had a ton left over from DD1, I buy very few outfits for DD2, but when I do buy her things I buy her beautiful clothes from Tea Collection. When you don't have to buy an entire wardrobe, you can splurge more.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS was born in 2008 and DD in 2012, these are some of the new things I got:

Stroller (I kept DS's Vista but it was too big for out current lifestyle so I got a Bee)
    Infant car seat, since I hated the Graco (too heavy) and it only had 6 months before expiring, we got the Cybex Aton and we love it.
    Stroller board for both strollers
    Beco Gemini carrier (we lost our old one), and then I went a little overboard and got a Baby Ktan and a ring sling, and got a Moby wrap as a gift.
    Aden and Anais blankets
    Bedding set
    Bottles, nipples, pacifiers
    Diaper bag (a whim really, I just wanted a new one)
    Bottle warmer, DH hated the Avent one we had, so we got a Dr. Brown
    some girly clothes and accesories, though she also uses the more neutral hand me downs from DS
    Some new cloth diapers, i had DS's old ones but I wanted to try the new ones, and we didn't have any in NB size.
    Medela Swing breats pump, since I only had the manual one for DS and I expected to pump more often this time.
    A true travel crib (the PnP IMO is wortless for actual travel), I looked at the Baby Bjorn, Phil and Teds and the Guava family Gocrib. We chose the P&T since it fits inside a suitcase.
    New monitor since the old Angelcare wasn't working anymore. We got the basic Angelcare and the Phillips Avent (sound only), sometimes I wish I had gotten the Motorola video Monitor so I can supervise when they play together.

I think that's it.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

ma912 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Thanks all! I do have a double stroller... Britax B-Ready. I have thought about getting a new playard that's larger... DD didn't fit comfortably in hers before we were ready to have her sleep on an air mattress when we traveled. That new 4 Moms one is pretty snazzy... and the Joovy 2 is quite large. Any thoughts on those?

The new ACA law requires insurance companies to pay for hospital grade pumps, so I'll definitely go that route at least at the beginning. I believe you are also entitled to a personal pump as well.

I used a Moby with DD and liked it... although I hear the Boba wrap is even better because it is a bit more stretchy. I've read that it stays in place throughout the day even if you're taking the baby in and out. Does anyone have experience with both? Pros/cons?