Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

ummm........

no
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

I use them but definitely don't sleep in them. My flow is very heavy, and I often double up with a tampon and a pad, so I "operationally" could not do 6, let alone 8 hours with one. What I have noticed over the years is that if for some reason I use a stronger absorbency than is needed (Super+ on a lighter for me - read "regular flow for normal people" day) or leave it in for too long, I start to get a nasty headache. Its a dull throbbing all over kind of pain that is only relieved by removing the tampon. I don't know if that is related to TSS but it scares me enough to get to the nearest bathroom and remove it immediately.

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I do wear a tampon at night, though I didn't when I was younger. I beleive that tampons are made differently now and the time has been extended to safely being able to wear them for 10-12 hours, or something like that. Anyway, I don't think there is much risk if you put it in when you go to sleep and take it out when you wake. TSS was for extended wear and misuse in that way. I was informed about it when I first used tampons.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I never thought twice about sleeping with tampons. Biggest problem is they might overflow overnight so I had to run to the bathroom in the morning to change!
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Yes. And TMI, now things are so heavy I need both at times.
    Me, too. I don't have a source for it, but I thought a few years ago, they amended the recommendation to 10 or 12 hours? I also read on the fda website, and I don't want to get into a debate about how much we can trust the fda, so I'm just saying, that they say TSS isn't even really an issue at this point because the kind of fibers that harbor/cause the TSS toxins are no longer used in tampons in the US. I don't know if that's accurate, but I do know that there is no way on earth, especially since having DD, that I could try to sleep even for a few hours without a tampon.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I do, I really don't worry about TSS. My neighbor wears two at a time and she's a nurse. Lol
    DD 9/10
    DS 8/12

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I am another who needs backup so I wear both. It's long and heavy (I'm probably going to get an endo diagnosis before long). So yes, I have always slept with tampons in, although now I sleep with the diva and backup cloth pads (Party In My Pants, like Momit mentioned is GREAT!).

ETA: I've thought about TSS but when you have a 8-10 day heavy cycle and your month is 25-26 days, you really have to get practical and do what you have to do.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I sleep with them in a few nights every cycle, I usually need to get up in the middle of the night and change them so I don't worry.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

YES for the first couple of nights. In a super duper tampon. My flow is so heavy since having kids that just a pad won't cut it...I have to wear BOTH a super duper tampon and an overnight pad. AND I sleep with a towel underneath me and sometimes all 3 of those safeguards are used.

The first few years I never did. I started using them by the time I was 14. I could never handle the discomfort of a pad. Ugh. Not for me. I probably started sleeping in them by 17 and never went back to pads. Luckily I have no periods now with mirena.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast