Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Those who have skied in Utah...one more question...

Just got our quote back, came in higher than we hoped for Park City or the Canyons. I know Solitude and Brighton/Cottonwood Canyons are supposed to be a lot less expensive, which might tip our trip in the more affordable range since flights are so pricey. On my original post about skiing in Utah, a lot of people said skiing was great there, but they wouldn't stay there. Can you give me more info as to why? Is there really nothing to do beyond skiing?

We are thinking of renting a car, so we could always check out Park City at night. It is waay cheaper for skiing in the other areas and we were contemplating staying there anyway (Brighton, Solitude, etc) . Bad idea? DH said he doesn't care, but I want more specifics. Thx!
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Check Alta/Snowbird.

I'm not a skier. I've lived in Utah almost all my life and have gone cross country skiing once (and it was a lot of fun). However, I do live very close to the bottom of the canyon that has Snowbird ski resort. Have you considered Snowbird? I think they have more activities than Brighton/Solitude. Either way, if you are renting a car, you can easily get to downtown SLC for all sorts of activities (museums, dining, shopping, kids activities, theater, etc..).

Park City would be a little more of a drive, up a different canyon.

Also, I don't know how comfortable you are driving in winter conditions but it can often be snowy/icy in the canyons and the roads wind down and they are 2 lane roads up brighton/solitude and snowbird. Park City has a 6 lane highway going to it. I am pretty sure all the roads are well maintained but it is something to consider...

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl07067 View Post
    Just got our quote back, came in higher than we hoped for Park City or the Canyons. I know Solitude and Brighton/Cottonwood Canyons are supposed to be a lot less expensive, which might tip our trip in the more affordable range since flights are so pricey. On my original post about skiing in Utah, a lot of people said skiing was great there, but they wouldn't stay there. Can you give me more info as to why? Is there really nothing to do beyond skiing?

We are thinking of renting a car, so we could always check out Park City at night. It is waay cheaper for skiing in the other areas and we were contemplating staying there anyway (Brighton, Solitude, etc) . Bad idea? DH said he doesn't care, but I want more specifics. Thx!
    Just trying to clarify your post before answer -- so you are wanting info about staying in Solitude and Brighton/Cottonwood Canyons - correct?

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    Just trying to clarify your post before answer -- so you are wanting info about staying in Solitude and Brighton/Cottonwood Canyons - correct?
    Yes, any info would be great!
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

Ok I'm contacting a friend who lives there to ask her - will be back with more info.

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am 20 minutes from Snowbird and 30 minutes from Brighton right now.

Here are the basics: Brighton isn't in a resort-like area. There are no places, really, to eat. Childcare is limited. It would be nice if you want to rent a condo away from it ALL. Snowbird has more options for a vacation. There are several restaurants/bars/resort options with pools. There are more childcare options. Snowbird's elevation is higher, so even if we get little snow for the season, Snowbird will have more than Brighton. Park City is a whole town devoted to skiing in the winter. Several resorts to choose from. Hundreds of hotel/lodging options.

Brighton/Solitude - 2 resorts up a simple little canyon. Not too many amenities. Brighton's ski school is amazing.

Snowbird - a single resort up a canyon next door to Brighton's canyon. Higher altitudes = more snow than Brighton/Solitude. Several dining options. Several pools (if you stay at the resort). Great skiing. Good ski school. Some shopping. It's next door to Alta. Alta is a quieter area, but within about a mile of Snowbird. I LOVE skiing at Alta!!!

Park City - about 20 minutes east of Salt Lake...a ski town. Many ski resorts. Many hotels. Lots of shopping. Lots of nightlife. Ski town rather than a ski resort.

Best ski school = Brighton
    Best skiing = Alta or Snowbird
    Best resort = Snowbird or one of the Park City resorts
    Best shopping = Park City
    Best restaurants = Park City
    Best single resort with bang for your buck amenities = Snowbird

Ok my source said that Solitude is the way to go if deciding between Solitude and Brighton. Brighton apparently has little to do with no real hotels (you'd have to rent a house/condo) or restaurants, while Solitude has a lot of new accomodations, pools, restaurants. HTH!

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree that Solitude does have a more resort-ish feel, but I NEVER recommend Solitude for people coming from out of town for Utah's best skiing. You COULD rent a car and try all of the local resorts, but who wants to do taht? Try Snowbird!

I'd probably go with geochick's info since she lives there. I'm just passing on what someone else is telling me from afar, so take it with a grain of salt.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast