Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JenaW is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default NYC in Dec with kids

We are going to NYC with DH in early Dec for a long weekend (flying in Fri eve, leaving Mon eve). Hubby will be busy most of the daytime, and I'll have our almost 1yo, plus 7 and 8yo DDs (and I'll be about 24 weeks preg). We are staying in Times Square. Trying to decide some evening activities with DH, and daytime things for the girls and I. I am NOT a big city girl, but I don't plan on sitting in the hotel either. I THINK I'm ok on the subway with the kids. Is it stroller friendly, or should I plan on a carrier. I have a Mei Tai but I've never used it with a preg belly.

Any must-do's or must-see's? I'd really like to do the Statue of Liberty and the former WTC site. If the weather is nice, the girls might like at least part of the dept store displays. We'd love to try and get matinee tix to Radio City, but I'm not sure if they are avail.

Fav restaurants? I know from a visit a few yrs ago (w/o kids) that Times Square is insanely pricey. And has a lot of chains. I'd love suggestions for off-the-main-path places that are kid friendly.

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks! You guys always give me such great advice.

J

ZeeBaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have never worn a carrier pregnant either. Maybe try it and see how well you manage with it. It would definitely be my preferred mode of transporting the infant if possible. Much easier to navigate the stairs in the train station and keeping an eye on your DDs if you have your if your have your hands free.

The city will be very crowded in December, but I think manageable. I would avoid rush hours as much as possible. Plan to leave the hotel about 10 to avoid the crowds. I prefer the NYC neighborhoods to eat then the Times Square area. I would venture to little Italy or Chinatown when you go to visit the World Trade Center. Radio City tix will be tough then. I would get on their email list since they often send last minute tix via email.
    DD1 6/08
    DD2 10/09

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We went with the kids last year in December when they were 3 and 5. So it was different from your situation, but I can still chime in. I think your older girls are great ages to go btw. We want to do it again when DD and DS are 7 and 5.
    I would say carrier in addition to stroller but I have no experience doing baby wearing while pregnant too. We took a stroller and had to fold in when doing he subway stairs but we actually did not do the subway a ton. The girls could probably help though. I would take your lightest stroller. We mostly walked but my kids really lagged in walking.
    I just asked them what they liked the best about the trip, and besides visiting in laws in New Jersey, they said Central Park was the best. I guess they just liked running around there. The day wewednt to the park we took the subway to the natural history museum, then walked to Shake Shack for lunch, then walked around Central Park. Good for all ages.
    We also took them to see Mary Poppins on another day. Outside of shake shack, I don't have great restaurant recs because we mostly ate close to where we were staying in the east village, soho area.
    We did try to go to Rockefeller center one day but it was SO crowded. We grabbed hot chocolate and pastries at dean &deluca but we could literally barely move there. We could see a bit of the tree, but it seemed that everyone else on EARTH had the exact same idea.
    DD
    DS

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would definitely spend some time in Central Park. The zoo is great and the kids should like the carousel. There is also skating, but with a 1YO and you being pregnant, that might be out. Since you are from upstate NY, cold weather shouldn't deter you from spending time outside (as opposed to my wimpy Florida-bred boys)

If your girls are into American Girl dolls, I would suggest making a trip to their store. My kids love the ferris wheel at the Times Square ToysRUs, and the "Big' piano at FAO Schwarz.

As for museums, my kids like the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Natural History...although neither are really as kid-focused as museums in other cities. My boys loved the Police museum (which I was going to link to, but it appears to still be closed while they recover from hurricane Sandy) and transit museum (if you don't mind a trip to Brooklyn) http://www.mta.info/mta/museum/

For information on stroller-friendly subway stations
    http://mta.info/accessibility/stations.htm

Here is a link to some kid-friendly restaurants...
    http://mommypoppins.com/family/nyc-k...staurant-guide

I would definitely check out mommypoppins (see restaurant link above), as well as Time Out NY http://www.timeout.com/new-york-kids as your trip gets closer, for events in the city.

We go every other year, as we have relatives in the metro area. This year my DDs will be 9.5, 8, and 4.5 When we went 4 years ago, DD3 was 6 months old. I did have DH to help me carry her up and down the subway steps, and I actually lugged our P3 up and down the steps. Surprisingly, we did it with ease. However, if you're by yourself, def bring a super easy folding, lightweight, but durable stroller. I never owned a Mei Tei but had a Baby Bjorn and loved it. I used it pg too, just adjusted it so the baby was higher and the straps were lower, which was more comfortable anyway.

If I were by myself, I'd transfer your child to the carrier, and then quickly fold up the stroller and go down the subway steps. Keep the child in the carrier until you get to your stop and then once you're up the steps, open your stroller back up. Depending on the size of your 1 y/o it might be a bit much to keep them in a carrier all day, I personally liked using my stroller when I could.

As far as destinations...we too are going to hit the Statue of Liberty this year, and the Empire State Building. After that, since ESB is on 5th Ave, we will just walk up 5th ave. Doing that you can hit Rockefeller Center (the tree will be lit after 1st weekend of Dec I think), St. Patrick's Cathedral (I'm Jewish, but still think it's neat), and many nice storefronts. We may go to the 9-11 memorial as well which is in lower Manhattan, so def a subway ride. My girls are also into American Girl so we will head over there for lunch (make reservations) and I believe it's on 5th ave too, can't remember.

Another thing we love to do is walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, weather permitting. It is crazy cold over that bridge in the winter though!!, This is really best done during nicer, warmer weather, but since it is the only time we come to NYC, we just suck it up and do it anyway. We usually go about 1/3 of the way across and the views are very nice, assuming it is a clear day.

For food, you will probably get better responses from others since we often go to the touristy places. We went to Katz's deli (was very good), Serendipity for dessert - would not recommend, ridiculously crowded and way overpriced. One place I love, though I haven't been in years, I don't even know if it's still there....Al's International Soup Kitchen on 55th st and 8th ave, the inspiration for the infamous Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld. When I last went 8 bucks got me a huge bowl of Mullicatawny (I know I spelled that wrong), an apple, a roll, and a chocolate truffle. It was delish!!! Not kid friendly though as it is a stand, no place to eat inside. I do recall Carmines being fun to eat at, and reasonable. I think there are two locations, one is in the theater district. Super huge portions, meant for sharing, and reasonable for NYC as I recall. DH and I ate there before kids, but it would probably work for kids too.

I will be following this thread for good eateries too.

I love NYC, enjoy your trip and be prepared for lots of walking!!!
    Last edited by jerseygirl07067; 10-20-2013 at 11:34 PM.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

I'm sure you've thought about this, but anywhere in midtown around the tree and department stores is going to be VERY crowded on the weekends. I'd try out the carrier before you go and think about wearing that the whole time you are near the "Christmas"y tourist spots. You should be fine with the stroller at the park, Statue of Liberty and other sites but walking around the tree with a stroller and keeping track of other kids near Christmas not fun (and I've BTDT).

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by vtmom View Post
    walking around the tree with a stroller and keeping track of other kids near Christmas not fun (and I've BTDT).
    Never again!

I literally felt like I might have a panic attack trying to navigate around the tree with two kids, one in a stroller. OP, we had a great time overall though!
    DD
    DS

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Are you trying to go to the Statue of Liberty or is a boat ride past adequate? I just know we waited too long and couldn't get tickets to actually go out there.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you were to get tix for Radio City, would you take the 1 year old or would that be something you would do with just the older one's? or have your DH take the older one's? I was just thinking that taking the 1 year old to Radio City might be tricky, and if the baby got fussy you'd miss the show. I've never been so I don't know how it works, I've only ever gone to a play on Broadway.

Does you hotel have a microwave/fridge as that would be important to me with three kids, then you minimize having to eat breakfast and can have snacks etc. such as yogurt, cheese sticks etc in the fridge.

I wouldn't take the 1 year old to Radio City. People pay a lot for those tickets! If you were desperate, you could do it, but only if you get seats right near an exit. Once you get out of the theater, you could hang out with the 1 year old in the huge lobby or the sitting room by the restrooms, so there are places to go.

The Nutcracker is also great for the older ones, but DEFINITELY not for the little one. You might be able to get away with a little one at Radio City, but not at the Nutcracker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast