Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would avoid going to Park City though if it's during Sundance Film Festival, it's a zoo!

Brighton is just magic with lessons. No other way to explain it! They are even fantastic with teaching first time adults--DH and his friend took snow boarding lessons as part of a "learn winter sports month" package. They are both expert skiiers. Snowboarding was extremely painful the first time But DH said the instructor was awesome. And actually you don't want your 4 yo in with other 4 yo--you want them in with kids the same level. The will split out by age groups if they have enough. My kids did better in mixed age groups--they rise up to the older kids.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I would avoid going to Park City though if it's during Sundance Film Festival, it's a zoo!
    Agreed! My kids were in school in Park City for a while. I hated the Festival! It's rush hour traffic 24/7 during Sundance. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

I did read on the reviews of Snowbird that it is a mountain loved by experienced skiers. Was wondering about that.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

Yes, def looking into vrbo, thanks!
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

Thank you everyone for giving me such great info!!!
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Brighton is just magic with lessons. No other way to explain it! They are even fantastic with teaching first time adults--DH and his friend took snow boarding lessons as part of a "learn winter sports month" package. They are both expert skiiers. Snowboarding was extremely painful the first time But DH said the instructor was awesome. And actually you don't want your 4 yo in with other 4 yo--you want them in with kids the same level. The will split out by age groups if they have enough. My kids did better in mixed age groups--they rise up to the older kids.
    Good info, thanks!
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Another reason to look at staying somewhere that offers a lot of options, I have some friends who's children who aren't proficient skiiers get burned out after two days and want to try other activities. I'm not sure what type of skiiers your kids are but having other non skiing options is good.

A friend of mine has her DD in ski school at Snowbird, they do semi-privates and much prefer them. I'd look into whether you could put the older two together in a group and then the younger one with like aged peers.

Are you coming from a place at sea level, I remember so many people mentioning they needed a day to get used to the altitude, and remember to push the water for everyone!

I found that the Canyons had some really nice beginner trails, and having skiied mostly in the East where it's often icy, found the skiing much more challenging in the West. I often skiied black in the east, not so much in Utah.

Yes, I definitely like the idea of having other options should that happen. Yes, we are coming from FL, so about as low as you can get! That's interesting about the skiing in the east vs the west. I hate skiing on ice, and loved out west more for that reason....better snow. I skied in Killington and the Poconos back east a few times and out west Steamboat, Lake Tahoe, Summit County CO, and Whistler, BC. Loved them all, but my fave was Whistler. Not super cold, amazing super long wide open runs, and the altitude is actually not quite as high.

So now I want to try out Utah!!

Oh, ski bug...you have really bit me now!!!
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

One thing we have really liked about Park City is that you are sleeping low (unless you stay on the mountain at DV). It really is a much easier adjustment than when we have skied CO and slept at higher altitudes. We haven't had any altitude issues in PC. Canyons is really low. Not sure how the Cottonwood Canyons spots compare.

I personally would not want to spend time driving up and back from a mountain every day with your aged children. With little kids and equipment that is a lot of moving around. Older kids (like everyone 9+) who can all easily manage their own gear, sure. But with little people I think ski vacations are so much more enjoyable with keeping it simple. One mountain, leave all your gear on the mountain and just drive or shuttle yourselves back and forth to your condo/house. I can't imagine having to switch resorts daily and check into new ski schools, track every piece of gear in and out daily etc. I'd lose my mind. And everyone is so tired after a full day on the slopes. I loved just popping onto the shuttle bus home with only what we were wearing. We left everything, even boots, at the mountain, checked overnight. We have done trips where we skied two mountains during a week and that was okay but honestly it still takes a toll - kids liked ski school A better, kids had met friends or loved instructors, getting to know a new mountain/trails/eating/logistics. And as long as you have a car, if you take a day off from the slopes you can get to anything - no issue driving a bit on a non-ski day. PC has the Olympic park and tubing facility that are both fun for a visit and of course town is fun just to explore too. But even if you were over in the Cottonwood area, you could make it a day trip to PC easily.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast