Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Which carrier to register for?

I want to register for a soft-structured carrier. However, the options available at BBB and BRU are limited. Of the selection they have (Ergos, Moby Go [is this new??], Lilebaby, Boba and of course Chicco, Infantino, Bjorn, Britax, etc), what would be the best option?

FYI: my concern about an Ergo is that the body would be too long, as I am short with a short torso. I have never actually tried it though.

I'm already registering for a wrap for the bitty baby stage.

I'm not opposed to buying a GOOD carrier elsewhere, but we are not registering for much so I would like to see if I can add a decent carrier to the registry.

ETA: I have an AngelPack from DD, but I'm meh about it.
    Last edited by TwoBees; 10-17-2013 at 09:21 AM.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would suggest going in and trying all of them on to see which one is most comfortable for you. They are largely a matter of preference. On a side note, I am also pretty short and the Ergo is very comfortable for me. The Boba gets a lot of good reviews too.

I'm 5' tall and had no problems with the Ergo.

jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm 5' tall and love my Boba! I believe that the new version (3G) allows you to use it with a newborn without needing an infant insert.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm tall with a short torso & did fine with the Ergo once DD fit into it without the insert. The insert, however, made it feel incredibly awkward because of how high up Baby is positioned - I much preferred the wrap for the ittybitty stage!!

HOWEVER, I find that on someone with a smaller build than I have the Ergo is overwhelming because the classic has quite a lot of padding in the straps and it just feels awfully big on a petite mama who is also slight.

If you've got a slighter build, I would opt for the LilleBaby Complete or the Boba over the Ergo, based on what I've seen from other members of my babywearing group.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    HOWEVER, I find that on someone with a smaller build than I have the Ergo is overwhelming because the classic has quite a lot of padding in the straps and it just feels awfully big on a petite mama who is also slight.
    A fellow petite mama of mine has had luck with the "Performance" version because the straps aren't as bulky as the "Original" collection: http://store.ergobaby.com/baby-carri...ild=BCP02500NL.
    Jennifer
    SAHM to DD1 (11yo) and DD2 (5yo)

chiisai is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    I want to register for a soft-structured carrier. However, the options available at BBB and BRU are limited. Of the selection they have (Ergos, Moby Go [is this new??], Lilebaby, Boba and of course Chicco, Infantino, Bjorn, Britax, etc), what would be the best option?

FYI: my concern about an Ergo is that the body would be too long, as I am short with a short torso. I have never actually tried it though.

I'm already registering for a wrap for the bitty baby stage.

I'm not opposed to buying a GOOD carrier elsewhere, but we are not registering for much so I would like to see if I can add a decent carrier to the registry.

ETA: I have an AngelPack from DD, but I'm meh about it.
    I have had an ergo and beco and lilebaby. I preferred the lilebaby; very comfy. I'm also short, 5' and have a short torso.
    Deal-hunting mom to a 2006 and a 2010

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Of those, we had a Moby, an Ergo, and a Bjorn. (Not on your list, but we also tried a Kozy Carrier (mei-tei style carrier).

We loved the Bjorn for the newborn stage, and that remains the only carrier either of our girls have tolerated for long periods of time. Neither girl could stand the Ergo for more than 10-15 minutes, and *I* could not stand all the wrapping with the Moby. However, they adored the Bjorn, and would happily stay in it for an hour or more. In fact, DD1 went through a "wanting to be a baby" phase right after DD2 was born, and we indulged her and let her ride in the Bjorn for a while at age 26-28 months or so, and she appeared perfectly happy in it.

The Bjorn, IME, is not good once they get over 15ish pounds, but is great for tiny babies.

meljc is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Try the newer Ergo Stowaway from the travel collection. It's not nearly as bulky as the Classic and packs into itself, so perfect for travel. It's the only carrier we use now with our 2yo, though I probably would use something else until ~6mo.

I know he bjorn doesn't get alot of love her but with a severe refluxer who needed to be uprigh all day it saved my sanity. I couldn't use the ergo bc I have lumbar/SI joint issues and it sat on my hips.

I did use a sling and a babyhawk with her but I liked that she could face outward in the bjorn as well. I handed it down to a friend and she loves it too.

I am too dense to use a wrap!
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast