Default Any Reccos for Books About Menopause??

I am starting to face peri-menopause. I know there are books about all this. But I thought I would turn to the wisdom of the BBB for recommendations. I realize that most of you are younger--so I would not be offended if your MOM told you about a good book! I just need to know more about what is going on, sort of what is "normal". Just a baseline book. TIA!!

I would ask my mom--but she died 7 years ago. Sigh....times when I really miss my mom...
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The following 2 books by John Lee

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Menopause

Sorry you do not have your mom here. I am in the same boat as you.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just got a call from my doctor, she took blood and said I'm in perimenopause, my last cycle was 60 days in between periods, first time ever.....so the end is near! My mom died over 20 years ago, but she had a full hysterectomy so I'm not sure she'd be much help.

My gyn basically said to increase my Vit D, my levels were a bit low. She said to call if I begin to experience anything out of the ordinary and have any concerns.

I didn't know I needed to read a book (i have such precious time for reading I'd rather read a good mystery)....from what a lot of my friends who have gone through this it's so different, one says they had hot flashes another said that never happened.

Just Me, did you find those books helpful?? btw I'm also a single mom of a 10 year old dd and 7 year old ds.

mom2--this is what I got from my gyn too but all my levels were looking good. I am going Friday to get some blood work done--that I should have done in June. But i was busy training all summer and now have time to do a fasting test!! sigh. So i guess I should wait to see what that shows first.

But I need a book--a primer, a guide, etc. So thanks Just Me for the reccos!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't have any book recs but am 44 and my doctor suggested I was peri (no blood tests yet). My cycles have come down to 25 days and get really heavy at first and my Pms is really bad. A few irl friends and I seem to be going through this same shift at the same age. I have a living mother and living older sister but my mother claims to remember nothing about it and my older sister said she just stopped all the sudden so nothing really to share.

I think, like pregnancy, even blood relatives will have different experiences with menopause.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I did find the books helpful, although I am really still reading the premenopause one and digesting it, so still figuring out what to take from it. I think the big thing for me is that these books are helpful in figuring out if there are any safe ways you can feel your best.

mom2binsd , we appear to be living parallel lives! PM me if you want and we can "talk" more.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes