Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

So I'm not as knowledgeable about IEPs as others. I thought once signed it was legally binding and they can't make changes from the IEP without your approval. Which they are doing. Legally they don't have a leg to stand on and they know that. I would try once on your own telling them you will not agree to the changes made, what they're doing is against provisions in IDEA (cite the sections) and if they refuse to follow the signed IEP, you will continue to follow legal avenues open to you. This approach worked for a friend.

If they give you push back, then lawyer up. I know someone who is a lawyer for families, he goes to IEP meetings, so getting a lawyer doesn't mean you're taking them to court. It does mean you have someone who knows the ins and outs of what the school must do, and the school knows he knows relevant legislation and court decisions.

I hope it gets sorted out.
    Last edited by niccig; 10-19-2013 at 11:37 PM.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    So I'm not as knowledgeable about IEPs as others. I thought once signed it was legally binding and they can't make changes from the IEP without your approval. Which they are doing..

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell this does not seem to be true, at least in my state. I have never even been asked to sign an IEP before! I once looked into this, and was told that it is not necessary. Yeah, I sure would like to have a lawyer to even get advice about these kind of things but the one I spoke to (the only spec ed lawyer locally to me), said first things she does is review records..and the district is using the whole 45 days they are allowed to review records.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Unfortunately, as far as I can tell this does not seem to be true, at least in my state. I have never even been asked to sign an IEP before! I once looked into this, and was told that it is not necessary. Yeah, I sure would like to have a lawyer to even get advice about these kind of things but the one I spoke to (the only spec ed lawyer locally to me), said first things she does is review records..and the district is using the whole 45 days they are allowed to review records.
    I think they have to here in CA. I'm pretty sure my friend got her son transferred to a better program as his placement wasnt' following the IEP.
    Here's what wright's law says about having to sign - it depends on the state. There's a link to different states, for you to check.

http://www.wrightslaw.com/blog/?p=3924

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No signature is required in my state.

Now, it does say the parent needs written notice of the meeting, which I did not get and there is a false statement in the IEP stating the teacher called to tell me about the meeting (she called to ask for a check-in meeting and I thought it would be just her and I. Anyway, I really would need some kind of legal advice to interpret this all as there is some gray under all of the areas they may be out of compliance with...but unfortunately, no parent signature required.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2