Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

There are also great outdoor markets, like the Bryant Park (off 5th Ave, near AG store) and Union Square (downtown - take 4-5-6 or N-R lines downtown to Union Square/14th Street station & go upstairs) holiday markets, which might be fun to look at. I'm hoping to take my own DD this year ... if I can block out a weekend that isn't too cold and convince my brother & his girlfriend to meet up with us.

Depending on what you like to eat, there are quite a lot of options. I definitely recommend the "Time Out NY" kids tips!!

My DD adores Times Square at night, but I admit it does get crowded!! I don't mind much because I usually wear DD whenever we go to NYC, which means I can get to/from places a lot more quickly than if I'd had our stroller ... and she gets to see things at my eye-level, which is great.

Per Rockefeller Center.com, the 2013 tree will be lit on December 4th.

If you're interested in the store windows, here's a walking map: http://gonyc.about.com/od/christmass...maswindows.htm

Do note that it's awesome, but does get VERY crowded and can be cold. I would definitely wear your 1y/o on your back if you can; tie the mei tei's belt above your belly if that's comfortable. If not, you can try below, but I think your best bet will be above.

Supplemental links:

Info for Union Square Holiday Market (opens 11/21): http://gonyc.about.com/od/christmass...maswindows.htm

NYPL Exhibitions calendar, including "The ABC of It: Why Children's Books Matter": http://www.nypl.org/locations/tid/36/exhibitions

Bryant Park Winter Village (also has ice skating if Central Park & Rockefeller Center are too crowded): http://www.bryantpark.org
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

JenaW is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions, especially about using the subway and carrier. I think I will NEED a stroller, bc although she is a peanut, I can not imagine lugging her all over NY. Unfortunately, she HATES the back carry on the Mei Tai, though I am trying to utilize it more at home so hopefully she will get used to it. The few times I've tried, she arches her back to get out, and I am afraid she would throw herself out of it...not good. I'm so spoiled by my Phil and Teds, but I will probably try to borrow or find a cheaper, smaller, lighter umbrella type stroller. I'm flying down with DH, but will be coming home a day early by myself with the three girls, so I will definitely need the stroller to get all of us, plus luggage, car seats, etc through the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBaby View Post
    Radio City tix will be tough then. I would get on their email list since they often send last minute tix via email.
    Thanks for that suggestion. I didn't know it was a possibility. Do I just go to the website? Last time we went (a few years ago), hubby was able to get "cheapER" tix thru the conference. But after the comments about the baby, I am having second thoughts. While she is generally very easy going, and I remember it being a fairly loud show, I would be upset if I had to spend the entire time in the lobby bc she was fussing, especially with the tix so pricey...

Quote Originally Posted by ilfaith View Post
    If your girls are into American Girl dolls, I would suggest making a trip to their store. My kids love the ferris wheel at the Times Square ToysRUs, and the "Big' piano at FAO Schwarz.
    We don't own any dolls (so the idea of the store is SLIGHTLY frightening...LOL...but we are doing a history unit using the books this year in homeschool, so I know these two especially would LOVE the store. Thanks for that idea! Thanks for the rest of your great links too. Bummer about the police museum. But I will def look into the others.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl07067 View Post
    Another thing we love to do is walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, weather permitting. It is crazy cold over that bridge in the winter though!!, This is really best done during nicer, warmer weather, but since it is the only time we come to NYC, we just suck it up and do it anyway. We usually go about 1/3 of the way across and the views are very nice, assuming it is a clear day.
    This sounds awesome, and something I would have never thought of. Do I just take the subway to the nearest station, then get off and walk? We do a fair amt of hiking with our kids, so they should be fine in that regard, as long as it is not bitter cold. When I went a few years ago, it was during a warm streak, and it hit 50's most days. That would be nice if we got lucky again...

Quote Originally Posted by vtmom View Post
    I'm sure you've thought about this, but anywhere in midtown around the tree and department stores is going to be VERY crowded on the weekends. I'd try out the carrier before you go and think about wearing that the whole time you are near the "Christmas"y tourist spots. You should be fine with the stroller at the park, Statue of Liberty and other sites but walking around the tree with a stroller and keeping track of other kids near Christmas not fun (and I've BTDT).
    Thanks for that reminder. I do remember, not that you've mentioned it, that when DH and I were there alone, I commented that I could not imagine being there with the kids. We went by the tree after we did the Dept store walk one evening. Is it any better during the day? I'd be alone with the girls then, but if it's less crowded, it would be worth it. If not, we may avoid it all together. My kids do not watch much TV so they have no clue what Rockefeller Center is. It would be nice to see the tree, but not with the stress of those packed crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Are you trying to go to the Statue of Liberty or is a boat ride past adequate? I just know we waited too long and couldn't get tickets to actually go out there.
    I'd REALLY like to climb the SOL. So once DH gets his final schedule for the conference (he's both lecturing and attending), I will try to get advance tix. Every single other time I have been in NY, it has been closed. So this is something I'd really like to cross off my list. Though, in all honesty, walking up with the 12mos old may be impossible. I know she can't go up into the crown...I am not sure if I (or DH) would be allowed to bring her in the carrier?? Does anyone know? We climbed a bunch of lighthouses this summer, and were not allowed to bring her into any of them, so we took turns going up.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Does you hotel have a microwave/fridge as that would be important to me with three kids, then you minimize having to eat breakfast and can have snacks etc. such as yogurt, cheese sticks etc in the fridge.
    Yes, thank goodness. This is the only way we can survive when traveling, especially when we have all 7 kids!

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    My DD adores Times Square at night, but I admit it does get crowded!! I don't mind much because I usually wear DD whenever we go to NYC, which means I can get to/from places a lot more quickly than if I'd had our stroller ... and she gets to see things at my eye-level, which is great.

Do note that it's awesome, but does get VERY crowded and can be cold. I would definitely wear your 1y/o on your back if you can; tie the mei tei's belt above your belly if that's comfortable. If not, you can try below, but I think your best bet will be above.
    I'm working on this. She is NOT a fan of the back carry right now, but she also doesn't like the inward facing front carry, unless she is tired. Sigh. We are working on it though. I hope I can make it work. I do have a Kelty backpack, which although very bulky and cumbersome, its comfy and she'll tolerate it for a while. I'm not sure how I feel about using it in a crowded city though.....

If I remember correctly, we took a cab there, and I think we took the subway back uptown. You would just have to check the schedules and double check the map, I can't remember since it was 2 years ago, though we will be doing it again weather permitting in late November. I can let you know, since you are going after we are.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have no idea but I just wanted to recommend getting a carrier for back carries (Ergo, Beco, or whatever...I would not have felt secure with a mai tai for back carries. But with the beco (which is what I used) there was no way a baby was going to throw herself out - the back on the Beco is higher and you have those extra straps). That would work with a preggo belly just fine and IMO back carry is SO much easier on the back and I can imagine it would be a lot easier navigating subway stairs, etc if you have the baby on your back. Once mine were about a year old, I was doing the back carry only - front carry was so much more precarious because you can't see your feet and it's also cumbersome to work around the baby in front of you.
    And with your DDs ages, they could help you get the baby onto your back.

Have fun!
    Last edited by twowhat?; 10-27-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2