Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Oppositional Defiant Disorder

Anyone heard of this?

Have any experience with this?

We just completed both the parent and teacher portions of the Vanderbilt Assessment and this is one of the Disorders that is scored.

We (both the teacher and Us) seem to have a lot of answers there that coincide along with both the Inattentive and Hyperactive ADHD section.

Thanks for any thoughts you all might have.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Untreated ADHD can look a lot like ODD. There are some professionals who won't even diagnose ODD if the ADHD is not being treated.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have worked with lots of children that have it. Do you have some specific questions? How old is your child? And did someone other than a teacher "diagnose" this?
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaGirl View Post
    Anyone heard of this?

Have any experience with this?

We just completed both the parent and teacher portions of the Vanderbilt Assessment and this is one of the Disorders that is scored.

We (both the teacher and Us) seem to have a lot of answers there that coincide along with both the Inattentive and Hyperactive ADHD section.

Thanks for any thoughts you all might have.

Melbel is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

ADD/ADHD and ODD are conditions that are on my red flag list of when to screen for Lyme Disease, preferably using more reliable tests and knowing how to interpret the tests. An immunology screen can also shed light if there are other underlying infections that could be part of the picture. Many doctors are happy to slap a label on a child and offer medications to mask the symptoms, rather than taking the time to search for underlying causes (which is a huge disservice to children in the long run).

I have heard of it because my mom, who teaches second grade, once had a student who had been diagnosed with it several years ago. That was the first time either of us had heard of it. So it's real, but I don't know much more than that.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

DS is 4 years and 10 months old and seems to exhibit the classic ADHD type symptoms (both inattentive and hyperactive).

We have had a tentative diagnosis of ADHD, but are seeking a second opinion and were led to this assessment that scored ADHD, ODD, Anxiety, and Depression.

I had just never heard of it, but was trying to research it a bit and it seems that it is often diagnosed in conjunction with ADHD.

DS does exhibit a fair bit of behavior that seem to indicate it was a possibility, but currently the suspected ADHD is untreated so I am not sure if the behavior is just spill-over from the untreated ADHD.

His behavior is just wild, he spends probably 80% of his time interacting with me yelling at me. He hits, punches and kicks me. Time-out in is his room is useless, he refuses to go and I have to physically place him there and then he destroys the area and damages the door.

Just looking for some real life experiences...

Thanks
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

I have treated kids with ODD. It can certainly be from untreated ADHD, but it can also be a disorder on it's own.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't have any personal experience with it, but wanted to say that some kids with undiagnosed learning disabilities receive this diagnosis because they have so much built up frustration.

Many disorders can look like each other, which is why is takes a skilled clinician to help ferret out the root cause of behavior issues. The hallmarks of ODD include willfully disobeying authority figures or rules, easily annoyed and purposely annoys others, often angry and resentful of others, spiteful and seeks revenge, blames others for ones' own mistakes, and often loses temper. Some of these features can also be seen in ADHD, but ODD can exist in addition to ADHD as well.
    DS- 6/09
    DD- 4/12
    It's a boy! DS- 2/15

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I know that there is a lot that goes into making any diagnosis. We had received this assessment and I was just looking into it further online and found that this was one of the markers this assessment is testing for, in addition to ADHD, anxiety, and depression.

I was just unfamiliar with ODD and was looking for someone with first-hand experience. I will say that this section of the assessment is the section that had the most "yes" answers to the assessment questions.

Thanks everyone for your time.
    Lindsey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast