Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My DD has several accommodations in her 504 that she very seldom actually uses. But just knowing that they are there and she can use them if she needs them is a relief for her.

And give yourself a break. The typing will come.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My son is in 3rd grade and has dysgraphia. I would absolutely let him use Dragon and encourage him to do so. Nine is very young to be a fluent typist. Remember that accommodations are used to help level the playing field. Your son is having an output problem (fluent handwriting) not a thinking problem. Using Dragon could allow him to produce written work on the same level as his peers. It's not a crutch, just a different method of producing the same results. I think schools have a pretty set way of doing things, and it's easy to start thinking the traditional way is the only valid way, when IMO that just isn't the case.

We have used the Dragon app on the Ipad, and it's okay, but not as good as the PC program. I would recommend using a different headset than the one that comes with it for better quality. It made a big difference in the accuracy of dictation.

The other suggestion I would have is that if he is going to use Dragon in any capacity at school, make sure that they give him plenty of training. Someone needs to show him how to do it, help him go through the voice training, teach him how to speak clearly, and help him learn how to edit. He should be able to handle the free speech dictating, but at this age he is going to need help with editing. I would just want to make sure that they weren't going to give him a 5 minute lesson and then send him off to do his writing. He will need some support with it.
    Last edited by inmypjs; 10-29-2013 at 04:49 PM.

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by inmypjs View Post
    My son is in 3rd grade and has dysgraphia. I would absolutely let him use Dragon and encourage him to do so. Nine is very young to be a fluent typist. Remember that accommodations are used to help level the playing field. Your son is having an output problem (fluent handwriting) not a thinking problem. Using Dragon could allow him to produce written work on the same level as his peers. It's not a crutch, just a different method of producing the same results. I think schools have a pretty set way of doing things, and it's easy to start thinking the traditional way is the only valid way, when IMO that just isn't the case.

We have used the Dragon app on the Ipad, and it's okay, but not as good as the PC program. I would recommend using a different headset than the one that comes with it for better quality. It made a big difference in the accuracy of dictation.

The other suggestion I would have is that if he is going to use Dragon in any capacity at school, make sure that they give him plenty of training. Someone needs to show him how to do it, help him go through the voice training, teach him how to speak clearly, and help him learn how to edit. He should be able to handle the free speech dictating, but at this age he is going to need help with editing. I would just want to make sure that they weren't going to give him a 5 minute lesson and then send him off to do his writing. He will need some support with it.
    Thanks for the perspective on it not being a crutch and the reminder that the traditional way is not always best. Hard to see it sometimes when we are working so hard on making sure DS will have the necessary skills to succeed in life.

Which version of the PC program do you use? The Home or Premium version? It doesn't seem to me like there is a ton extra in the premium that is worth the much higher price but it's hard to tell just from the description.

Thanks for the suggestion that he needs adequate training at school. I spoke with the special ed teacher yesterday and she told me she setup an appointment for him to meet with one of her staff and the IT consultant for next week so they can get him started. I'll be sure to follow-up and make sure that they are training him properly. Yes, the editing will be a hurdle. Up until now I've been having him type in Word and I do most of the formatting because he just spends so long fiddling with it that it makes me crazy and don't have the patience or time for it and just want it done. I figure, he got his ideas out, I can help him make it pretty.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

We have the home version and it works just fine. I am not sure what is in the premium. Does he still have an aid/shadow? Just wondering if they could support him with this after the initial training. When my son was in public school they did not do nearly enough training. He will need to practice how to talk clearly and more slowly into the microphone, as well as learning what the basic commands are. My son did not have an aid and I'm sure the teacher just didn't have the ability to give him that kind of attention.

We homeschool and I do sit with my son a lot while he dictates. Or he will dictate for awhile by himself and then we'll edit it together. It's actually a great way to teach language arts and grammar. For example, sometimes Dragon will choose the wrong homophone - like "their" instead of "there" - and you can discuss that, as well as capitalizing proper nouns, etc. One cool feature it has is the "Read that" feature. After you are done dictating, you can say "Select all" and then "Read that" and it will read back just what you wrote.

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Update

I wanted to come back and update this thread. After my initial post, I ok'd the use of Dragon Dictation with the school but for various reasons, it was never actually used until recently. He's been using it for a few weeks now both at school and at home and it has really made a huge difference in his writing output. One of the special ed teachers has been coaching him as to how to use the program on the ipad and he's picked it up quite easily. At school they are still trying to find the best place for him to use it so as to avoid too much background noise because that significantly affects the accuracy of the program. Sometimes, it's fine in the classroom, other times he uses a desk in the hall just outside his classroom. The biggest challenge is actually in the computer lab. They have been doing several research projects in the computer lab and need to type out their findings. The room is small so gets quite noisy with the whole class in there. Because his memory is so strong, the best solution at the moment is that he does the research and then right afterwards goes to a quiet spot and does the dictation. He usually has an outline from the teacher to work from so he uses that to structure his dictation work.

I was working with him over the weekend and he had to write up a research project on a birthstone. He had done the notes manually the week before. They had a list of questions to cover and he had written one word answers after doing the research. I was expecting him to just dictate the bare-bones information he had written but all of a sudden he started adding in all sorts of details he recalled but had refused to write down. He seems fine with taking the output from Dragon, emailing it to himself and editing in Word and can do that pretty independently. I was really amazed at what a higher quality project he was able to do without any complaints using this tool. Hopefully it will be productive and not just a new toy he eventually grows tired of.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement to use the dictation software. In our case it has been very helpful. I no longer see it as a crutch. It really is a great tool for him to express his thoughts in writing. Even if long-term, this is how he ends up producing written work, I'm fine with it because I know that he has so much information in his mind and the goal is to get this information expressed on paper, regardless of the tools used.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Great update! I think you're looking at it exactly the right way. My DS is 5 and having a lot of trouble writing. I anticipate that we will turn to dictation at some point soon to help him express himself, so it's so nice to read about your DS's success!
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

That's a great update! How wonderful that your DS is able to use this great tool to express his thoughts and share his knowledge. It must be so exciting for both of you!
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

Great update!

I am just now seeing this but also think it is a great update! Technology can really help level the playing field for some kids.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2