Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

There is a ghost tour of Old Town. Probably crowded this time of year, but fun.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Unless I missed it, the only place to get food inside Udvar Hazy is McDonalds. I would definitely plan for lunch outside the museum.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Ooh, I sure have been meaning to visit there.
    Totally agree with Wegmans.

The Elinor C. Lawrence park isn't all that exciting, it's nice for an outdoor trail walk though. The leaves are turning so it will be pretty. Frying Pan Park is a small farm, goats, pigs, horses, turkeys etc. Plus a nice playground, tractor tour of the farm, and carousel.

Cox Farms is nice, but it's cray-cray during their fall festival. I think this weekend it's still going on. I don't know where you live Snuggle, but it's great if you want to experience fall fun. Huge hill slides, a very easy corn maze, apples, apple cider, (everyone can eat free apples and get little cups of cider) baby goats, it's fun. But again, on the weekends it's supposed to be a mad house. Check their website to see if the festival is still going on.

I think the museum has something other than McDonalds, but I don't remember what. I'd plan on eating elsewhere. You'll be out in extreme suburbia, so you may not have many good non-chain options. If you go to Centreville, there are some good pho places.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    Unless I missed it, the only place to get food inside Udvar Hazy is McDonalds. I would definitely plan for lunch outside the museum.
    That was the case when we went, but it has been many years ago now so I could be out of date.

Catherine

We were there about 6 months ago and McDonalds was the only choice onsite. You might want to try the Reston Town Center for lunch instead. There are several good options that are kid & adult friendly and while some are chains, there are several local chains, so they may feel less like a chain. If you are interested in a more physical activity vs a touristy thing, there is a Sportrock in Alexandria or you could head to Great Falls Park for a hike. There is also a combo bike tour/boat trip from Alexandria where you ride to mount vernon and take the boat back. Mount Vernon on its own could be interesting. I have not been there in years, but if any of you are familiar with the movie National Treasure, I believe that there is a tour related to the movie. Lastly, there is a family show at the Kennedy Center this weekend that I just received a promo for. I believe it is recommended for a bit older children, so it may work for you.

One more idea - you could go ice skating at the Kettler Iceplex in Ballston - it is part of the same facility where the Capitals practice. They have various public skating times, so one might fit your schedule

Have a great visit!

Patti
    Last edited by Pbl427; 10-29-2013 at 11:42 PM. Reason: additional info

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wanted to post while we were at the Fairfax Wegmans at 1 on Saturday to see if anyone on here was there. I'm sure I'll be shot for saying it but I wasn't totally in love with the food bars. It was fine and the selection was fantastic! Dh liked it better than Whole Foods food bars but I prefer WFs. Again , we were all able to find lots of things to eat but it certainly wasn't cheap (like $11/ each). I'm glad we went though so thanks for the idea! We needed some food for home so win win.

We just went back home after that and Metroed over to the Mall. We had a good day. Ds1 liked the Udvar Hazy, especially the simulators. Ds2 was underwhelmed....he was in a mood that day. I kind of expected that though.

Thanks, all!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2