dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Buying AG dolls online vs store

My DD wants the Saige doll for Christmas. The is an AG store 30 min away, but is there any reason to go there is I know what I want? Do the parcels come labeled AG? We tend to get our deliveries in the evening so I would rather it not be obvious.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think the parcels have the AG logo on them. However, it's been forever since I've ordered online - if I need AG stuff, I plan a day out in Manhattan, since I figure I'll spend as much in sales tax as I would on shipping. (Plus, I actually enjoy how much of a zoo the store is, especially at Christmas. Sick, I know.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

MIL just sent DD1 some stuff for her bday. It came in a plain box, but the return label says American Girl.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

I ordered a Bitty Baby this summer, it came in a large plain brown cardboard shipping box. There was a small AG logo as part of the return address, but it was not easily visible, and I could easily hold that side of the box toward me, or place something small on top of the label, as I brought it inside.
    DS- 6/09
    DD- 4/12
    It's a boy! DS- 2/15

I was just in the store a few weeks ago, and it was pretty overwhelming. I would definitely order on line.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks. I think I'll order online. It's not like we "do" Santa, so I'm not worried that she will see the AG label and have her beliefs in Santa crushed on Christmas. I just don't want to hear "what's in the box? Is that my present?" for 2 months! The AG store is in a Mall she always wants to go to. So maybe if she gets some $ for her birthday we can go there after Christmas and she can buy something for her doll there. Because I'm not going to enjoy the store, but she is.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I've been to several stores and my advice is go EARLY or very late. The best time to be there is right when they open. For the first hour it isn't bad. After that it gets crazy.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

they're having free shipping right now so I'd definitely order online
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We just got a doll in the mail and the box looks, to me, like it holds a doll- long rectangle- but DDs weren't at all suspicious. I'm grateful my rush to shove it in my room didn't alert them :-)